The FishingMagic Big Swordsy's 2009 Trent Fish-in

Reaction score
And that's how it happened.

Good write up Sean, thanks.

er...you sort of neglected to mention that poor old Swordsy was up all night catching barbel and bream every cast while the rest of us were tucked up by 0230!

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
And my cunning eel rig that I set up in the absence of barbel coming to my feeder rigs - unfortunately it caught me nothing.

Nothing until I caught an eel on my remaining feeder rig and pellet.

Does anyone know what that foam is and where it comes from?

Despite having to hose eel slime off my net when I got home it was a thouroughly enjoyable outing - ale, port and cheese on a sunny afternoon. Nice.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Excellent trip despite the cunning lack of accurate street/lane names in and around Collingham, but I eventually found my way in. :wh

One rap on the tip at 7pm - nothing, a wobbly tip at 8pm - nice lean, mean chub, a tip bouncing up and down at 10pm (but no alarm - helps to turn it on apparently!) - my first ever Trent barbel - nice one. :D

As for the sleeping arrangements, well "my" bivvy was still in Hewitt's garage so it was the wet grass or the car! Slept OK tho! Woke up in time to find Sean "Patrick Moore" raving about the galaxy, mars and other such chocolate delights but failed to see another bite. :j

Went for a stroll to find the mighty Swordsy, eventually found him a bit downstream of Nottingham but had a good chat anyway. He's changed my mind about 15ft 2.75tc rods but I'll struggle to find a use for them down here in the south. I did manage to lose a barbel as one of his rods screamed off - he just laughed and took photos! :eek:

Can't remember which Paul is which but good to meet you all. Sean and I decided the collective noun for a group of Pauls is a "BLANKING"

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
The nominated rat catcher, 'Cassie', loved her time on the bank. In fact, she kept herself really busy running up and down, sniffing every hole in the bank, and standing her ground when the swans came to visit. She then spent the whole of Monday asleep. The wife couldn't even wake her for treats. Like the rest of us she blanked though.

It was bl@@dy cold on saturday night, and after a restless sleep I thought I was dreaming when I looked out to see the foambergs coming downstream.

Sorry Sean, it was me who was rattling the chains all night. Woke with a terribly sore throat which is a good indication of a night spent snoring in my world. Usually accompanied by a nasty bruising of the ribs, but not that night??

It was nice to meet up with some of the merrier men on FM and I hope to do it again but with more fish, any fish will do :wh :)

Paul B

Reaction score
Yup, splendid write up Sean.

Neil, I reckon Corker doctored all the signs to prevent Morespiders turning up unannounced :)

I'm not suprised to hear Cassie slept all day; She must have put in more miles than I did getting over from Warrington!

Reaction score
Excellent write up...thank goodness for ale, cheese and port. Good to know some fish were taken. Thanks for the tip Neil...when we next meet please refer to me either as Poshers or use my middle name (Stephen).....I'll only use the P word if the sole owner of said name!