The fly fisher’s creel

Thomas Turner

Trade Member
Reaction score
There is nothing more tactile and decorative than a fly fishers creel. For centuries the basic fly fisher’s creel has changed little in its basic shape. Originally a soft leather or canvas bag with optional shoulder strap, it has evolved into the steamed tooled leather pot belly creel in the 1700’s we know today. Collecting creels is both big business and has a worldwide following. There are many devotees of collecting target specific models. USA collectors love the named examples such as those from Maine, the Wing Tip, Turtle, Oregon and native examples in wicker, willow, rattan, stained, leather bound and plain. Years ago, I was contacted by the authors of The Art of the Creel. A superb in depth look at the history of this iconic angling accessory. Written by Hugh Chatham and Dan McClain and published in 1997 it is a delight to read.

I assisted with a few examples and just a little knowledge relating to English creels from leather to willow and split reed. Meeting both the guys on the USA tackle circuit in the 90’s was inspiring. It came as no surprise I bought many creels at most tackle events rehoming them in the UK. It’s my job!

Creel-2-800x276.jpg

Hardy Bros Alnwick in the 1930’s boasted over 20 variants of creel, bag, and bag and creel combinations. Front and rear opening models, centre and side fish slots, fitted interiors and plain baskets, all collectable today.

Farlow has their fair share of the market too. Examples from c1900 such as the Desideratum with internal compartments and engraved brass fittings are rare and sought after.

Creel-3-800x256.jpg

I always buy good and interesting creels for Thomas Turner, both for resale and to decorate the video studio. Creels come in a variety of materials; split reed, willow, wood, leather and metal such as the French mesh one top left.

Creel-4-686x400.jpg

The classic Brady Conway creel combined the traditional willow creel with a detachable over bag. It provides a sound solution and the best of both worlds for the angler. Newark style creels (the bottom two of the six above) may look like fly fishing models, but they are tailored to the coarse angler. Internally and externally strengthened they can be sat on and are light to transport with a good capacity for all the angler’s accessories.

Creel-5-800x220.jpg

A recent video shows one of my own wooden antique Dutch creels and this has prompted a couple of calls enquiring about the price. Happily, they were family gifts so they stay where they are, but a few more would not go astray if you have some to sell.

Creels make a very smart decorating feature. They have character and are a recognisable centre for any fishing collection or man cave.

We are always interested in good quality examples. Those free of the dreaded worm holes and examples with brass fittings and leather bindings are of interest.

Get in touch with us, send a few pics and let’s have a TT deal!

John Stephenson

01782 698787 / 07548 871985

john@thomasturner.com

The post The fly fisher’s creel appeared first on Thomas Turner Fishing Antiques.

Continue reading...