The FM Keith Culley Memorial Match 2007

• Thread starter Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)
  • Start date
N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Thanks for that Steve.

As ever it was a great day out with the Clattercote fish keeping us guessing throughout.

Well done to Graham who along with Steve Wilson had good nets of fish on the method at range when eveyone else struggled.

The fish under ther boards were something else.I persisted in fishing badly and inaccurately at distance(apologies to Gareth next door for some fairly wayward casting) for too long and only concentrated close in in the last hour or so when I hooked and landed two fish.It brought back memories of snag fishing for barbel on the Swale in my Yorkshire days.The adrenalin was certainly going strong and my apologies to the elderly couple and everyone else who witnessed some fairly industrial language as i tried to "coax" a fish out from literally under their feet.

I konw where I will be fishing from the off next year when of course the fish will be 80yards out in the middle.Thats why I love fishing though!

One point I would like to raise though is that old barbless v barbed debate.The two fish I caught had a lot of mouth damage where the size 10 hook had cut through.A barbed hook is much better in hit and hold situations surely as it stays put. One for another thread perhaps.

Discuss on this thread.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

I forgot to add my thanks to Graham for organising it and for everyone else who turned out to make it a great day.

There have only been 4 winners of the trohpy since its been going namely Graham(3), Stu Dexter(2 I think)and Barney Knowles and Macl Doyle with one a piece.I think we need to get all our heads down next year to put a new name on it!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Well, what can one say. I am delighted that Graham won.

He came second in the trout match, now first in this one. There is no stopping him!

Power to the old farts is what I say!

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

Nigel:

Stu's won it three times - 2001, 2003 and 2006, me twice (the first time when it was float only) - 2002 and 2007. Malc once - 2004 and Gary once - 2005.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Thanks for that Graham.I only had a glance at the trophy in the pub.My point is still a good one!(Not that it matters at all)

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Was that before or after Grhams share of the pools money had been safely secreted though?

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

Yes Graham, that's the genuine item, bought for me for my recent birthday and already the stitches are bulging and threatening to snap.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

The picture was sneakily taken by Wendi as I slid my winnings into it.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

We need to watch that Girl.She is a dab hand with the camera!

W

Wolfman Woody

"(Wendy had two crackers)" - Trust a bloke writer to pick up on that!

Yes, poor old Graham had the gear fall off his overburdened trolley twice at least and like the kind and considerate sportsmen that we are, Stu and I helped him mount it all back on again so he could carry on and win the match.

Well sod all that for next year. I'll kick it all in the lake and give us all a chance. :eek:)

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Another year to wait until I can attempt to beat my record by landing one single fish.

They went like rockets back under the walkway when hooked, I lost two, one to straightened hook and the other smashed my 6lb hooklength.

Never the less an thoroughly enjoyable day where I learnt a few lessons.

G

Gary Knowles

Well done Graham - I had to stay away from this one as Ron was threatening me if I beat you again.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Did we think the pub was OK? If so, we could make it the regular post match venue.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

That was the only downside for me Barney, not beating you as well.

Woody, I've learned how to use the straps now and the gear only falls off once instead of twice.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

Pub was good but I missed not having a curry, and I don't think most people want both.

Maybe pub for a drink and presentation and then a curry another year?

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

No time adjustments on this match though Barney!

;o)

or was there????????

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
The pub was a vast improvement on the one we used before Nigel its just a pity most of us are confined to pop and shandies because we are driving but I enjoyed it anyway.

As for the curry well it doesn't bother me personally because I dont like curry but I do think a get together in the pub afterwards sort of rounds off a nice day.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

No problems Boss.I wasn't quite expecting the sausages and chips to be so plentiful!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I fished almost exactly the same as you Graham (Method, corn, maggot, clipped up) but all I had was a tench and a skimmer. Mark and Paul did the same either side of me, but had very little. Then we discovered the carp under our feet, but as you said, you didn't have any water behind you and we did.

It was a very strange days fishing, but very enjoyable and it was great to meet so many FM ers. The pub was spot on, so was the food. It was nice to have a laugh with the guys and gal in the pub, but as Graham said it was a couple of shandies then time to hit the road.

It was a great day out and I will be there for sure next year.