The future of barbel baits.

Reaction score
Over the years I've used minnows (both live and dead) and caught Barbel from the Kennet at the start of the season. Ive also used peeled prawns, cheese, different pastes (cheese, bread and fish meal pastes), sweetcorn, boilies, pellets, worms, maggots, caster, hempseed and even floating bread one warm night when the barbel were turning upside down taking food from the undersides of streamer weed; plus luncheonmeat and sausages and swan mussels and there are probably one or two others that I can't remember.

Some baits have been more successful than others at certain times of the season and some baits worked well on one river but were virtually ignored on other rivers.

I don't think that there are many baits that haven't already been tried for Barbel by someone out there; I certainly don't see anyone coming up with a new magic bait that works on all rivers and streams throughout the year.

Keith

I've also done the very same as you above Keith,i'm finding myself pellets and boilies are becoming difficult to catch on my rivers,as populations dwindle,it means a little or no feed scenario,with only one or two casts before spooking,with small fish populations growing small or soft baits are mullered instantly in warmer months,maggot and caster are all about creating competition,which doesn't occur with one or two fish,it's a pick and choose life these days,on the D.Stour baits of less than 10mm are roach fodder,very difficult future imo,unless you live on the Trent or Wye...

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Interesting thoughts all round!

Until a couple of years ago just about all my barbel fishing was on stretches of the Upper Loddon that are past their peak, but still productive and where the fish have probably seen just about everything. That part of the Loddon also has a huge population of crayfish but 100% of the many barbel I had over the last three seasons I had on that river fell to variants of static big torn off lumps of meat. I've used that basic method since the 1960's.

For me meat is nowhere near as productive on my local rivers although I've had a couple. Pellets and boilies still seem to reign supreme but, as Whitty says, size is very relevant and important. Casters over hemp, particularly trotted, produces a few but few people want to put in the effort to fish that way. Similarly, trotted maggot is very effective in autumn/winter but the barbel tend to interrupt my main target of the big chub :)

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
I reckon the next big thing for barbel fishing could well be a big ball of clay stuffed with lobworms.....??????

laguna

Reaction score
The future of barbel baits? possibly, but meanwhile...

6 x 6 trot through's (or max 30 minutes ledger) then change bait.
Throw in a tennis ball size of ground bait upstream and cast to the splash. In no particular order... a big lump of meat, 17mm halibut pellet, halibut paste on its own or as a wrap (or halibut and cheese paste if chance of a chub), bunch of maggots (try 12 on a clip), 2 big lob worms with heads off and finally bread flake with crust on.

If none of those work, move up a swim and start over. If you still don't catch, then possibly the fish aren't there but remember to fish those same swims you previously fed on the way back to the car!

Good luck. :)

Reaction score
The future of barbel baits? possibly, but meanwhile...

6 x 6 trot through's (or max 30 minutes ledger) then change bait.
Throw in a tennis ball size of ground bait upstream and cast to the splash. In no particular order... a big lump of meat, 17mm halibut pellet, halibut paste on its own or as a wrap (or halibut and cheese paste if chance of a chub), bunch of maggots (try 12 on a clip), 2 big lob worms with heads off and finally bread flake with crust on.

If none of those work, move up a swim and start over. If you still don't catch, then possibly the fish aren't there but remember to fish those same swims you previously fed on the way back to the car!

Good luck. :)

I'd love that to work,on my local rivers barbel spook at the plop of a 10mm boilie or pellet...:)

lutra

Reaction score
I'd love that to work,on my local rivers barbel spook at the plop of a 10mm boilie or pellet...:)

I was sat up a tree a few years back watching a good sized shoal of barbel in some fast water in low clear summer conditions. I fired one 10mm boilie in about 15 yards up stream of them and watched it bounce down to them. It clearly upset them and parted the shoal right down the middle as it went through them. After repeating a few more times, there wasn't a barbel left in the swim.

Same river and even same swim, I've had some cracking barbel catches on boilie, but most have been after dark or in coloured water.

Reaction score
I'm afraid these days on my stretches,because of lower stocking levels,it's a matter of throwing one handful of bait in several swims,returning to see if barbel are present,when you find some you have to wait for them to vacate and as quietly as possible drop a bait in and wait,definitely no more bait,apart from maybe a very small bag with either broken boilies,or maybe 8 pellets or so,then pray they return...:)

swizzle

Reaction score
I'm afraid these days on my stretches,because of lower stocking levels,it's a matter of throwing one handful of bait in several swims,returning to see if barbel are present,when you find some you have to wait for them to vacate and as quietly as possible drop a bait in and wait,definitely no more bait,apart from maybe a very small bag with either broken boilies,or maybe 8 pellets or so,then pray they return...:)

That is my experience on both the Hampshire Avon and Dorset Stour. I have found that a bed of bait generally spooks the fish.

Philip

Reaction score
I was sat up a tree a few years back watching a good sized shoal of barbel in some fast water in low clear summer conditions. I fired one 10mm boilie in about 15 yards up stream of them and watched it bounce down to them. It clearly upset them and parted the shoal right down the middle as it went through them. After repeating a few more times, there wasn't a barbel left in the swim.

Same river and even same swim, I've had some cracking barbel catches on boilie, but most have been after dark or in coloured water.

I have seen similar and at those times even the tastiest morsal known to man wont tempt them, however fish for the same fish after dark or at a differernt time (early/late etc) and they may well have it. Another option is to feed with something like maggots ...keep enough going through and maybe one or two will start to have them then others will follow suite.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Thing is if you are roving carrying all the bait choices will result in a much heavier bag , when walking i like to go light personally