The Glorious 16th

steve2

Reaction score
The Glorious 16th does it still exist? I remember when it did, 3 months of planning, preparing and baiting up swims, buying new tackle. When I was at school the day seemed drag and was spent waiting for the bells to ring so I could rush home jump on the bike and go to the local pond. A few days off work were always planned.

Now with fishing available 24/7 all year round it is not the same even most those river anglers have spent the close season on still waters. There can’t be many who still follow the close season and still wait in anticipation of a new season.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Looking at tomorrows weather report for my area I won't be rushing to get out!
In all honesty I have no real urge to do so anyhow.

nottskev

Reaction score
I won't be going just for the sake of it. There'll be competition for some of the places I'd like to go, so I'm happy to leave it for those prepared to join a rush. There's always been fishing in the closed season, as far as I remember. Farm ponds, stillwaters with a few trout put in, regions with fishing allowed if you were happy to drive. But all that doesn't mean I don't welcome the 16th.

Keith M

Reaction score
My son wants to go down to our clubs estate lake and sit behind a couple of buzzers for a few hours tommorow, so I might just join him tommorow and then we can look for a quiet place on the river away from any civilisation to catch a few barbel and chub on Thusrday.

Keith

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I still look forward to opening day and would be on the Colne tomorrow except I am running the weekly codgers match on the canal.
I thought I’d go Wednesday but have now got to work. Booked in for the open match at Willows Thursday, so Friday will have to do.
Also looking forward to a match on the Thames at Port meadow, Oxford on Sunday.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I remember when the close season was in force ,if you didnt get on Lymm Dam by around 3.30 in the morning of the 16th you would not get a peg, and at the time this was a 100 peg water, and a lot better fishing wise than what it is today.

lambert1

Reaction score
Won't get there until Sunday due to work commitments. I was asked what I wanted for Fathers Day and the reply was simple. "I'm going fishing!"

David Gane

Reaction score
Lots of discussion around my way about the packed riverbanks on The Trent. The curmudgeon in me says that there are too many people, that it ruins the fishing for the "regulars" and makes it hard to get a decent peg unless you're bivvied-up with full wi-fi, underwater cameras and a drone, while the other half says it's great to see so many people dusting off the tackle after three months of lockdown and getting back into what has been a declining sport. In truth, it'll soon settle down and people will be back at work before long, so on balance I reckon that it's been an excellent Glorious 16th. And I bet that it's been doing wonders for my local tackle shop who deserve a break in these trying economic times.

rayner

Reaction score
I don't think it does now Steve2, It used to be a big thing the start of the season. Now it's never-ending like an everlasting gobstopper. The sport of angling is far better for it, we can now fish all year round and we still have the close season, what more could we need. :LOL:

sam vimes

Reaction score
The 16th of June has never had any great significance for me. As a kid living close to the border of Yorkshire and Northumbrian regions, the 1st of June was the opening day when we actually had a real closed season. However, even then, it was permissible in many places to fish rivers for trout with a worm. The bylaws allow it, but some riparian owners don't. Free water and many clubs on the higher reaches of the local rivers do still allow it. That effectively meant that the closed season amounted to about ten days. Nothing much has changed except that maggots (and other baits) can't be used until the 16th of June rather than the 1st. I can't get nostalgic for a date that never had any real significance until the closed season dates were altered