the lift method

P

peter tattum

I do a lot of course fishing in still water for carp,tench and bream. I usually use a feeder or a float but i am thinking of changing to the lift method.So what size float do i use and what size split shot do i use.And do you know of any good baits to attract bigger fish than 4lb carp tench and bream.

J

Jonathan Faro

I've had a lot of luck (sucess?)with pellet paste. My mate made it for me years ago and I used it in the summer. OK the less cold and had a few nice carp where as most people whernt getting anything.

C

Carp Angler

It largely depends on depth and distance, coupled with line strength.
Float to shot size is irrelevent as the shot is on the bottom.
Use a float you can see at the distance fished and use shot the size needed to keep your mainline taut and in place in the tow, wind etc etc.

A

andrew jackson

Personally I have never been totally sold on the lift method. My favorite tench set up, distance allowing, was a very small crow quill. This very delicate set up trasmitted every flick of the line quite drmatically. A most exiting way to fish, but you have to sit on your hands a little bit. Laying on about three or four inches this set up will out fish the lift method, which requires the fish to be feeding quite strongly to work to its full effect.
Baits to catch bigger fish? The only true way to be selective is to fish bigger, harder baits. That said I have caught roach on 18mm boilies.
This may be not very helpfull but if you are catching a lot of tiny fish maybe a change of venue, not bait, is required.