The lightest picker rod ever?

Aknib

Reaction score
Something I've occasionally wondered about, a true lightweight picker rod maybe seven or eight feet in length with absolutely no hidden power to cope with the unintendeds.

A balls out dedicated Gudgeon basher!

I reckon I would be in the market for one should one ever come about, anyone else think it sounds like fun for a spot of tiny stream fishing?

Keith M

Reaction score
I have a rod similar to that which I won in a Barnet AC pairs match many years ago. It’s extremely light and I think it’s around 8 or 9ft, I don’t remember the make but it has a picture of a ‘Water Rail’ on it.

I might dig it out and put a picture of it on here later.

I’m not sure that I would really want to part with it though just incase I ever decided to start fishing winter matches on the canal again.

Keith

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Have a look at the Browning Commercial King 2 8’ wand which has 3tips. A 1.5 lb ide causes a barbel like swing. It’s a neat little rod.

john step

Reaction score
Shakespeare Sygma Wand serial number 1880 is the ultimate. However there are a few of the reincarnation models on the bay at about £35 I noticed.
Worth researching to see if its what you want.
The originals were glass and the new ones in carbon.

stevejay

Reaction score
I can remember fishing an Oxford Canal National in the early 80's when gudgeon were part of viable team approaches. Some teams had made up little handles to fit to the top section of a quiver tip rod to make very soft little float rods.

In terms of the thread, and a quiver tip rod, there were a few about around that time similar to the sigma wand. I had one that was home made, about 6 or 7 foot with a very fine built in quiver for use on canals and drains. Cant recall what blank it was based on though.

sam vimes

Reaction score
No recommendation from me, I barely leger unless forced into it. However, I am aware of a modern "wand" rod. With tips of 0.25, 0.5 and 0.75oz, it's unlikely to be intended for anything particularly huge. It's the Cadence CR10 Wand.

Aknib

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions fellas.

I spoke at length with Kev earlier (AKA Nottskev) and he also threw in a Shimano Twin Power that he'd shortened onto a Shaky Mach2 Boron handle, I reckon some sort of similar custom job such as this and those mentioned would be an interesting project when I eventually get the time.

I remember the Sigma Wand and those earlier glass models (Alpha?) with the translucent amber look, the Cadence looks a very nice rod for the money too but for the abbreviated handle (grrr!) and it looks similar in purpose to the Ultralite Bomb which I have.

I really like the Darent Valley 8' but again there's too much insurance and backbone for the occasional bigger fish, something which is an advantage in general terms but not in my perfect Gudgeon bagger.

I'd love to see a purpose specific rod with a pencil slim blank at the butt and a maximum mainline rating of, say, a pound and a half which would still give some scope for the unintended (and which would be reasonably unlikely to challenge it in the tiny streams I have in mind) but I appreciate it's highly unlikely given such a niche.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Before the rise of the carp dominated commercial there were any number of " picker" rods about. I had a glass Shaky Wand and loved it....I also had a Silstar picker which might have been even lighter. Both long gone now.

A gudgeon rod ? Sounds like a home build lockdown project to me.

The Sogster

Reaction score
What about maybe sourcing a cheap #1 or #2 fly rod? They're usually short light and very bendy, could be an interesting conversion.

rob48

Reaction score
The original Shakespeare Sigma Wand set the benchmark for these type of rods. I managed to break the built-up ferrule on the top of the carrier section on mine, so I ended up cutting the base of the tips back a little bit so they would fit. Although this reduced the casting range, it actually improved the bite registration and playing action of the rod by making the action even more mellow than it already was.
Another excellent rod of this type that I don't use due to its rarity is the Shimano Diaflash Winklepicker, perfect for straight lead fishing in a bit of flow.
I also have the Cadence Wand, which is the nearest to the original Shakespeare that I've come across. Very sensitive but limited to still/slow-moving waters, where it excels.
The latest of this type of rod that I bought last November was a new brand for me. Cresta Blackthorne Pro-N-Feeder cover a range of rods and actions from light 9' up to heavy 14'. I've got the light 10' which is all carbon with three tips of 0.5, 0.7, and 1.0oz. Perfect for dropping the straight lead on the stick float line when the roach start to get a bit unsettled by the repeated disturbance of striking on the float.

john step

Reaction score
Rob, Interesting about the Cadence wand you have and that its similar to the old Sigma. Well worth consideration.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Before the rise of the carp dominated commercial there were any number of " picker" rods about. I had a glass Shaky Wand and loved it....I also had a Silstar picker which might have been even lighter. Both long gone now.

A gudgeon rod ? Sounds like a home build lockdown project to me.
I have the Silstar rod ,I think it was top of the range at the time, I converted it by putting a 2oz tip in it for short range commercial work.
I have a Daiwa canal wand, around 7'6" ,had it around 30 years, the butt is slim as a pencil, put the fine tip in and a gudgeon will give a wrap round bite..
Also have the carbon version of Shakespeare Wand.
A few friends who are canal experts did the modified handle and tip job on rods, a few used to travel to the Oxford canal to fish the opens to practise before the National , collect their winnings and drive back home, Some of the locals dreaded them coming down .

rob48

Reaction score
Rob, Interesting about the Cadence wand you have and that its similar to the old Sigma. Well worth consideration.
Yes, it's a dedicated tool for the job. I'm surprised they haven't marketed 8' or 9' models, but they make rods for a living and I don't.

Last edited: