The next record Perch?

Aknib

Reaction score
Where, when?

Where is the next official record Perch going to come from... One of the Tring reservoirs, the Ouse? The Trent holds some huge Perch but I don't know if anything could challenge the current target.

Apparently (!) twos and threes are largely now going unreported such is their abundance but how common are they really outside of the reality detached, headline grabbing media?

I've tried to count up the number of three plusses i've had and the best I can get it to is eleven to 3-14 and that's despite the fact that they have been my main target over the last few years

Have Perch weights in the UK peaked and are twos and threes really not that noteworthy anymore?

ian g

Reaction score
I've caught a similar number of 3's and numerous 2 's over the past 6 or 7 years . My best is 3.12 which was caught not long after I really started targeting them . I'm not sure if they have peeked but they seem more numerous on the Severn around me and also more targeted . I suppose anywhere with plenty of bait fish and no pike must be likely to hold really big perch , wish I could find such a place.

Philip

Reaction score
The thing I always liked about Perch was that the record could come from literally anywhere. Farm pond to giant reservoir, small stream, canal or big River.

The optimum environment I recon is a lake with a lot of prey fish like small Roach and Rudd but little other predators to contend with. That’s why if I had to stick my neck out I would say it will most likely come from a commercial fishery of some sort were some actively take out fish like Pike. A commercial silvers lake for example.

The best Perch fishery I ever fished was like that. It was Carp orientated but had alot of silvers in it as well. The owner had taken out all the Pike and there were no Catfish. An added bonus was that he allowed live baiting. The Perch fishing was quite simply amazing.

I dont know if UK Perch fishing has peaked but its a very good time to target them it seems...and we all know the saying make hay while the sun shines is very relevant in angling.

As for size anyone not happy with a 2lb Perch has their perspectives all wrong I recon. While a 3lber is a specimen anywhere.

Get that Dungerness rig of yours under that rod tip pronto I recon ;) :)

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
One of the current joint record perch was caught at Stream Valley lakes in East Sussex, a carp venue.

I fished it a few years ago along with a guy who was targeting a big stripey, I spent the day there and blanked, he stayed on and over a 48 hour period with three rods out landed one just over a pound.

Just looked the lake up on Facebook and discovered it went up for sale last October, sold in the region of £250,000.

You missed a chance there Steve!

The Sogster

Reaction score
I heard tell third hand of a five and a half pounder from a local fishery recently. Normally I'd discount this but I have personally seen fish of four and a half pounds from this water albeit many years ago.

Reaction score
I must say,not targetting perch very often I don't catch that many big ones,3lbs 5ozs being my best,I haven't livebaited for an awful lot of years,nor will I and lobworm doesn't seem to sort out big perch on my venues very often,also I am not obsessed with chasing specimens any more,more just like to catch a few that pull the string so to speak. Venue choice is paramount with large fish and there are always ones we don't know about,always....

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
Didn't a chap have a huge one off a boat on the Thames(in a marina) a few years back, think it got rejected though? Perhaps that's the sort of river, one where the prey fish can get fat on pellets but plenty of safe harbour come winter for big stripeys

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I know a couple of rivers, about 30ft across, 12ft deep in the middle, a lot of weed growth in the margins in the summer, no boats or marinas. Lots of roach in one of them. hardly anyone ever fishes it and me a lot less the last couple of years. Maybe a record perch could lurk somewhere along there. I never fish for them but will consider it because this thread has made me think it could be interesting, not for a record but just to see how big they are. Certainly an odd 3lb + maybe possible. I will have to find out.

Reaction score
I fish at least six waters where 4lb+ perch come out most e than a few times a season,can I be arsed to target them,certainly,for an hour,cannot be bothered with sitting it out for a big fish,even though I love catching them....

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
It will probably come from a trout reservoir or a commercial that favours silvers over Carp . . . . although some canals are throwing up some quite large perch as well.

Back in the 80's in the uk I only ever caught 2 two pound Perch before moving to Norway where, in my first match there, I landed three over 3 pounds in the match. I ended up making several trips targeting the perch there on both baits and lures and spinners but never beat the 4 pound mark.

flightliner

Reaction score
My guess would be a commercial, a river or canal, back in 2006 I was having some biggish perch from two canals on the yorks/lincs border, I know for sure one if them did four plus perch but tho I had plenty of good two's and the odd low three plus fish on lures and lobs I never had them bigger.
I do tho recollect my first visit, using lures I'll never forget coming to the end of a retrieve and seeing a truly huge perch appearing out of nowhere in the clear water and following the lure for the last two or three feet to the bank.
I still think of that fish as possibly being over five lbs.
As mentioned "make hey while you can" as today those perch are a shadow of the numbers they were back then.
Here's one from a comercial near Scunthorpe last november, not weighed but maybe a two on slow sinking red maggot.

Attachments

• IMG_20201127_231551.jpg
    IMG_20201127_231551.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 145
Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
A friend knows an angler who has a boat on the Marina at Farndon. He gets the odd invitation to fish with him, and on the right day catches perch averaging 3lb with occasions 4lb's. That would suit you for more than one reason -)

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
There are a couple of canals in the North west that have large perch in them,

The Bridgewater Canal around Lymm and Thelwall, And the Leeds Liverpool around Wigan and Leigh area.
Statham Pool in Lymm on the WAA card has some large perch in as well.

ian g

Reaction score
I think you're right Peter . There are a good number of decent fish in the Severn , catching them is not to difficult but catching the really big fish is more of a challenge .

Molehill

Reaction score
I remember fishing for perch as a youngster in Sussex gravel pits and quite getting into it trying to catch a 2lb fish - a big goal then. I was getting closer and starting to refine methods (twitched lobworms, sink and draw etc.) and then suddenly they were all gone. Probably late 60s and the perch disease seemed to wipe them out overnight and that was it.
Fingers crosssed it doesn't happen again anytime soon, but best make the most of the fishing whilst you can, just in case.

John Aston

Reaction score
The angling press does give the impression that you have to shake off mere two pounders, so common are they now . It isn't the case where I live, and every two plus fish I've had has been hard won . Worse still , such is the popularity of light lure fishing that two previously excellent local- ish venues have been so hammered that sport has declined greatly of late - and I hate even being on over fished waters, as I cannot believe it is good for fish welfare having ironmongery hurled at them every day of the week.

I have caught my best fish on a local commercial , whose owner kindly let me lure fish in winter as long as very few anglers were about . The fish are under the radar , as perch don't eat pellets . They thrive on being the only predator and hammer the small roach , growing very fat. I've had several threes to 3-10 , as well as nuisance carp to mid double figures on lure. Perch thee are fat as pigs and rarely under two , if you can find them. Another local semi commercial water seemed only to have two perch- both fives ...