The off topic thread

rob48

Reaction score
Pike are a major reason I swung/swing big roach,and hoss em in,losing nice roach to pike is a pet hate of mine.
Matt Derry is the guy I saw in the video Kev,these guys are good anglers but if they arent careful the matches will be reduced to three hours to lessen stress...
Pike are a major reason I like to use a 4m landing-net handle. The further out in the flow the roach are netted the chance of them being taken by pike seems to reduce.

mikench

Reaction score
Getting back on topic I tried Fjuka yesterday and apart from tiddlers nibbling it, I didn’t get a bite. I tried red and white on the hook, on a hair, shaped like a maggot but to no avail. I don’t know about it being the best bait since the maggot but more like the worst bait since the tripe and onion boilie.😉

I also saw a guy fishing a pole and a float rod at the same time. He didn’t catch on either and his pole( Maver Genesis) was the longest pole I have even seen and as large in diameter at the butt end as a drainpipe. It was clearly heavy as the guy was using a rod rest set high.

nottskev

Reaction score
Getting back on topic I tried Fjuka yesterday and apart from tiddlers nibbling it, I didn’t get a bite. I tried red and white on the hook, on a hair, shaped like a maggot but to no avail. I don’t know about it being the best bait since the maggot but more like the worst bait since the tripe and onion boilie.😉

I picked up a bag of these in a ts. Red ones. Like a children's sweet, Jelly Baby/Harribo, but with a weird chemical smell. Tried them when catching freely on anything else I had with me, but didn't get a bite. Carried them around in my bag for a bit before throwing them away. I suppose fish can be caught on them - fish can be caught on more or less anything they can pick up if they are motivated enough and the bait is amongst feed. The big selling point is presumably that they can be hooked direct with no need for bands, spikes etc.

mikench

Reaction score
But so can a jelly baby or milk sweet or marshmallow. I have tried the latter but don’t think I was too impressed and nor were the fish.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs

I also saw a guy fishing a pole and a float rod at the same time. He didn’t catch on either and his pole( Maver Genesis) was the longest pole I have even seen and as large in diameter at the butt end as a drainpipe. It was clearly heavy as the guy was using a rod rest set high.
Maver did two versions of the Genesis .
The original one was 16 metres ,I think RRP was £750 but on offer at around £500 it had what I thought was a "soft" touch number four and five . They felt spongy .
I contacted Maver and I spoke to Dave Wesson who was there at the time .
He said it was to absorb the bend in those two sections , He was right , I got snagged by a 10lb carp and basically I put 10metres of pole just short of vertical and pulled hard , the pole bent and the carp came free. I have also stood on a seatbox with 16 metres of that pole more or less vertical to land a large carp on light elastic .
I sold the pole to a friend to finance my next pole purchase , then a few years later bought it back off him , then not long after someone made me a decent offer for it .
I digress ,The later version of the genesis was 13metrs as standard .
For it to be as large as a drainpipe ,he must have been putting various makes of butt ends up it to make it longer .
That would upset the balance and it would have a bigger droop than robin hood's bow .

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
But so can a jelly baby or milk sweet or marshmallow. I have tried the latter but don’t think I was too impressed and nor were the fish.
Cut the top off milk sweets and fish it like apiece of punched bread , Caught plenty of fish doing that , I gave one to a young lad at Drayton Leisure, he hair rigged it and had a 19lb carp.
Marshmallows are good at Dunham and Lloyds Meadow .

hague01

Reaction score
I bought the range of fjuka. I have used exclusively for three consecutive sessions. Tomorrow I go back to my own flavoured meat, paste, boilies,ground bait, pellets. Yes, I caught on the 10 mm big UN's, red mainly but dislike the way they go slimy. As a back up I will carry.

hague01

Reaction score
I bought the range of fjuka. I have used exclusively for three consecutive sessions. Tomorrow I go back to my own flavoured meat, paste, boilies,ground bait, pellets. Yes, I caught on the 10 mm big UN's, red mainly but dislike the way they go slimy. As a back up I will carry.
Ps Mike. I use the 10 ml meat cutters. Already in the fridge, 3 types for tomorrow, sweetcorn, BB gold and whiskey whites. In the flavours too. By use the meat will be saturated in the flavours! Highly recommended.