The Quest to Learn New Fishing Skills

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Simon, I love your style of writing, you've got a gift mate!

As you know I was brought up on the BA, from the age of six my dad had me catching chub at Lacock. Like you I've moved on and you know I'm obsessed with the 2lber!

Watercraft can't be learnt through books, dvd's or videos. You are completely correct about how to learn it, but another valuable tool is to sit behind anglers and watch what they are doing. I've spent hours quietly crouched down behind anglers watching and learning, some are more forthecoming than others with their willingness to talk and share their knowledge, but in general if you approach them quietly and politely ask questions they all give a little bit to you.

Another fascinating thing for me is when I invite friends, usually from FM to come and fish our river. I love to see how they approach it and what they do. What are they looking at when they look at a swim? What is going through their minds? Of course I share my knowledge, but am always intrigued to know how they are reading 'it'.....the water.

Looking forward to catching up with you again on the bank this autumn, see you soon and keep writing.

Reaction score
A great article matey.

As you say the best bit about fishing is that you always have so much still to learn.

I was chatting to one of the old boys down the tackle shop today and he has made me completely reappraise how I fish the river Teme, a river I have been fishing for 20 years!!

Totally agree with Steve, you have a nice, relaxed writing style, keep the articles coming...

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
A really interesting read.....i`m a bit like steve,i`m quite inquisitive and like to see how folk approach different angling situations,granted i don`t allways take on board what i see folk do etc.... thats just the way i am but it`s still good to get another perspective.

klik2change

Reaction score
This is a really fascinating article, which will take me some time to unpack... do I detect another philosophy graduate?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I've always made a lot of use of books and magazines for ideas and techniques. Although it's not always easy to put the techniques described into context, and someone showing you how often completes the jigsaw, I still think that technique articles have great value. Those writing them (including myself) are sharing our own experiences in the main as opposed to theories. This includes watercraft - someone else's experience of bubbling fish might help a novice to distinguish between different species, or understand other factors. Articles and books have illustrations and diagrams that can also help.

Muffin

Reaction score
Thanks for the messages, no philosophy graduate here, just someone who thinks a lot about fishing trying to ocupy my time whilst not catching!

As you all rightly state there are many different ways to learn, and sometimes you just need to look at things through other people's eyes to see that there are many different ways of approaching any situation.

I think that the best resource to my fishing has been this website as it puts many different levels of anglers in one place to share ideas and thoughts, and thats probably the best way I find I learn.

****y, I'm looking forward to coming up to the Teme, to see what your new tactics on the River will be.

Steve, Cant wait to target those roach this Autum and winter with you, maybe even might get that 5lb chub on the way!

Mark, you have already helped in the past with some thoughts on how to improve my trotting skills, and your articles have been a really useful source of information in the past and am sure will be abck with more questions soon!

Simon

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
From what I saw down on the Stour, you can "fish a bit"! I seem to remember you proving to me just how useful that 15ft rod was compared to the standard 13ft when trotting in those conditions!Nice article Simon, a good read, well done.