The things that stop you (me!) fishing

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
It seems i am very far from alone on this but Wind will stop me in my tracks nothing i hate more than fishing in a howling gale .

Not ken on rain but if i know there is any around i will have the brolly setup already but if the wind picks up thats it me done packed and gone .

PG ...

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I think if I am more considerate to the tackle trade I will be looking for somewhere else to live,
I have got my main items sorted for now, new pole (again)
new hardcase holdall to protect pole (from wife if she finds out how much it cost)
new rods, I couldn't justify spending hundreds of £'s on rods when
after trying out a harrier feeder rod and harrier pellet waggler rod at
£35 each, they are brilliant rods,
tackle for grandson, he has taken to it like a duck to water,
just need the time now.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Fished in all sorts, snow blizzards (could have died in one once), freezing cold , rain etc. Not these days, it has to be a nice day or I rarely go now. I put me before the fish, not dedicated maybe, dedicated to my own comfort and that's just how I like it.

rayner

Reaction score
The only things to prevent me from getting on the bank are my health, strong winds, persistent rain and snow is bad.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
There's an interesting sub-text here which is something like this: if you got to go fishing every time you felt just the slightest urge to go, would you eventually lose that urge/ interest?

I'm sure one of the things that sustains my fishing is the fact that I CAN'T go whenever I feel like it, and as a result I have to spend more time thinking about going and what will happen.

Sorry, didn't want to hijack. So back to the thread... with the usual constraints of a relatively young family + mortgage and all the rest of it, I need a fairly long run up if I'm going to spend the day fishing. As such, there's not much in the way of bad conditions that would stop me, if the day had already been earmarked for fishing. That said, adverse conditions - rain/wind whatever.... might make me change venue from my original plan. Same thing goes for perfect conditions though, along the lines of "I won't go there today, it will be rammed on a day like this..."

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Come on you lot. Own up. I bet the partners approval is the biggest reason For or Against.

You just need to see all those guys following the Boss pushing the shopping trolly.
I'm very lucky. Mainly because she's glad to get rid off me!

Being retired I look at weather forecast and decide.

fishplate42

Reaction score
Come on you lot. Own up. I bet the partners approval is the biggest reason For or Against.

You just need to see all those guys following the Boss pushing the shopping trolly.

In our house it is the missus that encourages the trips - she may well comes along if I am river fishing or dropshotting on the canal... She even smiles, especially when someone else is catching a fish!

Ralph.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Only work prevents me fishing more than once a week, however, being slightly less agile and mobile than I used to be I tend to avoid swollen rivers and steep muddy banks, in those instances it's either pools or a canal. One of my first ever threads on here was entitled "waggling in the wind", it's a pain but better than sitting at home ;)

Reaction score
I tend to get a couple hours every Sunday morning with my little lad and my brother most weeks and sometimes get a full day out but work/family usually why I can't go at other times. I really look forward to the fully planned days but some of the best fishing has been the quick couple hours with my little lad will hopefully get more time soon. I work shift work and can request certain times quite easily so I will be asking for more night shifts now it's getting dark earlier and hopefully do some fishing in the day midweek

mikench

Reaction score
Only work prevents me fishing more than once a week, however, being slightly less agile and mobile than I used to be I tend to avoid swollen rivers and steep muddy banks, in those instances it's either pools or a canal. One of my first ever threads on here was entitled "waggling in the wind", it's a pain but better than sitting at home ;)

Isn't waggling in the wind like muffin the mule ie arrestable offences?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

mikench

Reaction score
In our house it is the missus that encourages the trips - she may well comes along if I am river fishing or dropshotting on the canal... She even smiles, especially when someone else is catching a fish!

Ralph.

Nice pic Ralph ! Who took it though!!:wh

shane99

Reaction score
not being organised enough to just go on a whim, with everything sorted.

If I haven't done it after pushing nearly 50 years of fishing on & off then there's no hope :)

Last edited:
B

binka

As far as tomorrow goes nothing short of Hell and high water!

I quite fancy the latter though, with a nice tinge of colour...

:)

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I even took my fishing gear on my honeymoon, it somehow "fell" into the car,
this was 42 years ago and i didn't take as much then as i tend to do now,
over the years had 3 sons, 2 fished, 1 of them was a natural but didn't stick to it, the other was good and ended up fishing for local junior team then an intermediate team that was sponsored by a tackle shop,
we were out most weekends and in most type of weather, then along came
girls a few drinks with the lads and i couldn't take him anymore,
he now has a son and a daughter who both like fishing, so now life has gone full circle and i am taking them and passing on what i know in the hope that they will stick at it, my grandson will, my granddaughter is fair weather fisher girl at the moment,youngsters are the future of our sport/pastime and need encouraging,angling club junior sections are dwindling at present,apart from a couple of the larger clubs.
so when i don't take him, i try and get out,and at the moment as i stated earlier that isn't so often,
sorry this seems to have gone a bit off topic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I even took my fishing gear on my honeymoon, it somehow "fell" into the car,
this was 42 years ago and i didn't take as much then as i tend to do now,
over the years had 3 sons, 2 fished, 1 of them was a natural but didn't stick to it, the other was good and ended up fishing for local junior team then an intermediate team that was sponsored by a tackle shop,
we were out most weekends and in most type of weather, then along came
girls a few drinks with the lads and i couldn't take him anymore,
he now has a son and a daughter who both like fishing, so now life has gone full circle and i am taking them and passing on what i know in the hope that they will stick at it, my grandson will, my granddaughter is fair weather fisher girl at the moment,youngsters are the future of our sport/pastime and need encouraging,angling club junior sections are dwindling at present,apart from a couple of the larger clubs.
so when i don't take him, i try and get out,and at the moment as i stated earlier that isn't so often,
sorry this seems to have gone a bit off topic

That's just reminded me. I went fishing (with the bride) on our honeymoon, Thailand? No, Bury Hill.:(

mikench

Reaction score
Events and the weather could easily have stopped me today but I am so glad when I went! It sounds silly but when I arrived and set up I had llittle expectations! The weather looked ominous but I filled the method feeder with corn on the hook and cast in to an area known to be deep! I then gazed aimlessly at the surroundings and my phone. When the tip suddenly moved a foot or so I knew it was a carp and a good one! After the first 30 seconds or so I knew it was a decent fish . I had my drag set correctly ( sensor 6lb and size 12 hook) and what followed was sheer delight !

That one fish would have made the effort worthwhile!:!!!