The winter blues

John Aston

Reaction score
Eh ? We live in a temperate country where life is rarely much interrupted by ice and snow. Winter fishing is some of my favourite of all, with fish at their peak condition.

But hold on - I'd assumed OP was from Rochester , Kent but I'm guessing it's actually Rochester , New York state , up near Lake Ontario ? There's always .... err... ice fishing ?

@Clive

Reaction score
You would think that people would have read at least some of the threads and posts on the forum to get an idea of its content and relevance to them before registering.

mikench

Reaction score
Ironic that as we enter autumn the weather improves with sunshine and mid twenties temperature forecast for next week. We had better make the most of it.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
Well I for one am hoping the forecast is hogwash(as it normally is) as Chevin 4 (Hugh) and myself are hoping for a days fishing next week and the lake in question, like many doesn't fish when there are high temperatures and bright conditions, it can clear off...

John Aston

Reaction score
I must be the only person who finds weather forecasts, especially 48 hour ones, extraordinarily accurate . I know it's a national sport to moan about forecasts but they work for me.

Philip

Reaction score
I am always amazed how accurate the hourly forecasts are 24 hours in advance.

They get it wrong from.time to time but for the most part its spot on.

Keith M

Reaction score
When I used to be a Meteorologist & Oceanographer in the RN years ago and based at RNAS Culdrose in Cornwall we used to regularly get local farmers phoning us to get our weather forecast as we were far more accurate than the civilian Met Office were.

We didn’t use computers as much as they do today; however they still do a fairly good job; but the civilian Met Office forecast is not always tailored to local conditions so regional differences can often be different. And remember ‘it isn’t an exact science’ it’s only based on similar weather patterns of the past and the forecasters opinion.

If you look at the other forecasts from Met Offices around the world for the same geographical area they are only loosely the same; including met offices in places near to us such as France and Spain and Norway etc. It’s because forecasters have interpreted the same ‘data’ slightly differently to the other forecasters.

Keith

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I am always amazed how accurate the hourly forecasts are 24 hours in advance.

They get it wrong from.time to time but for the most part its spot on.
They change every 15 minutes in my experience and are clearly educated guesses.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
The only time forecasts are reliably correct is either in a period of very cold weather(after snow) when the ground is so cold it draws more cold weather from Europe and in periods of hot weather with southerly or easterly winds giving us European continental heat...

Badgerale

Reaction score
I don't worry too much, just means pike season is nearby. The closed season will be worst, but I'll amuse myself with perch fishing on commercials for a while.

Though on the south coast i reckon we've got another month and a half before i'll switch to predators.

Aknib

Reaction score
Took a few pictures earlier today and yes the Winter blues are well and truly upon me...

wb.jpg

wb1.jpg

wb2.jpg

wb3.jpg

Not! :cool:

alantherose

Reaction score
Re weather forecasts: might one’s location make accuracy more difficult?

Re colder weather and fishing: bring it on!!