thinking of buying a pen 525.any good??

chris hall

Reaction score
ive been looking at the penn mag 525 in my local tackle shop.i already own an abu c3 6500 mag elite,are they as good or would i be better buying another abu???
cheers, chris hall

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Stay with the Abu. I have both and the Abu's are a lot easier to maintain change spools ext than the Penn. Also the Abu is more streamline with the Penn sitting high on the rod.

P

Phil & Jo Hyde

I have both, decide what you want, I have cast well in excess of 200 yards with both reels, but the Penn retrieves much quicker, and the clutch is considerably more powerful and smoother as well. The Abu will handle lighter weights, and is a joy to use in the levelwind version with a light/bass rod and 3 oz of lead in the surf. I have caught cod to 22lb on a 6000c abu, and rays to the mid doubles on the 525 so take your pick. The Penn will handle bigger fish, and more importanty, FASTER fish. Price depends on what you know about the dealers wife!!! I'm not sure where the idea that the Penn sits higher on the rod than the Abu comes from, mine doesn't. For ultralong range work I use the reel mounted low and use coaster fittings, some "experts" don't like them, make your own mind up and ignore the experts who are not willing to get out and show what they mean, or are biased by being a "consultant"

Philthefish

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Just checked the 2 reels your right Phil they are the same hieght but the penn feels higher. Checking sizes the Penn as a wider gap between the crossbars and the spools. This makes it harder for me to grip due to having rhumatics in my hands.

P

Phil & Jo Hyde

If you don't already, can I suggest you try casting and fishing with the reel mounted at the bottom of the butt section. I have coached several anglers with the same problem and every one found using the gear easier, and the balance and feel of the gear far more pleasant. The only caveat is if you are striving for the absolute maximum distance, DO NOT cast with the reel mounted 10-12 inches up or with a retrieving extension fitted. A crack - off under full power will see the end of the butt get VERY close to the ribs, I broke three with a crack - off nearly 30 years ago using a D & F "Super Surflite" with a reducer attached. It hurt a lot!! Low reel is easy when you are shown how to do it, see me at the next go Fishing exhibition at the NEC on Pendigo Lake if you cannot make it down to Devon where I live.
Philthefish.

J

jason fisher

bryan /anyone what do you reckon on the slosh 20 as a beach reel, i was thinking of getting one for heavier ground fishing off the rocks, i'm currently using a 6500 mag elite but it's not really up to the job of rock fishing is it.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Excellent reel Jason also usefull of the boat for light inshore work. Excellent retrive rate to help keep the gear out of the rock. I have one prefare it to my Abu 7000 though i still use the 7000 i just love abu reels. I am getting the same way about shimano f/s.

chris hall

Reaction score
thanks for the usefull info phil and bryan.
just come back from a day on cable bay on anglesey.caught a blennywhich i havnt caught before,and got bitten off twice by something oh and lost a decent wrasse in the rocks.also lost too much terminal tackle even with a rotten bottom setup on.
i will be back though
cheers,chris hall.
oh and bryan my shimano aero 5010 baitrunner is deffinately my favourate fixed spool reel,it goes everywhere with me.even to the beach!!

P

Phil & Jo Hyde

At this time of the year the usual pest biting off end tackle are usually spider crabs just prior to shedding their shell. Due to their sizethe find difficulty in finding a safe haven to change coats, so they move inland: also this is the time they mate, as this can only happen when the female is soft. Find her, and your bait problems ae solved!!
The SL20 is a fine reel, but difficult/uncomfortable to use in the high position on a rod, due to the gearbox interfering with the first finger; the Shimano Speedmaster 2CFS solved this problem by putting the gearbox at 45 degrees, and out of the way. Try the SL20 at the bottom of the butt. Then it becomes easy.

Crabmaster