Thorpe Lea Carp Challenge

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
A while ago another web site asked a question about challenging another web site to a carp match. Unfortunately the other forum were unable to decide if they could fish or not and it has evolved into a Carp Challenge with instruction from Ian. The venue is Thorpe Lea and the dates are 13 and 14 Sep 08.

Ian will start a list on this thread and provide answers to our questions andlets see how we get on.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
Ians list from previous thread:

Ok so far I think e have got the following people interested any more like to come along and have some carp fishing fun with the FM crew ?.

1) Ian Gemson

2) Rob29

3) Speci-hunter

4) Cakey

5) Trev (100M Bronze)

6) Les Clarke

C

Cakey

they are all chicken because of Speci ............................even Im scared

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Carp fishing circus LOL bring on the clowns. /forum/smilies/party_smiley.gif

Ok lets bring the event and the activites into focus here are a few ideas of what the days might entail

I would like to try and organise both a social and a summer work shop event and a barbque on the Saturday evening.

So the work shops would be on the following

1) Feature finding

What is a marker rod, What reels do you use, What line, how do you set up your lead what do bottom features feel like. etc

2) Spodding

What is a spod rod, What reel and line do I use what is a good spod and why and good spod mixes.

3) Long range casting

What rods, What reels , What line, techniques etc

4) Leads & Leaders

why and where to use them

5) PVA bags and mesh

6) Rigs and hooks

Obviously the more people prepared to undertake one of these lessons the more we can offer. Each class will last around 1-2 hours and the anglers will be split into teams and go to each lesson in turn so that the teams are small and every one can have a go or ask a question.

Regarding monies I will obviously need to tell you all how much but if we can get a number of people to say they are up for this then I will be able to get a good ticket price and arrange a proffessional cook to run the BBQ for us.

Please everyone who wants to join in add your name to the forum and anyone who feels they are good ebnough to hold a small informal teach in then please speak up now.

I want to try and use any monies raised over and above the cost of the event to go to Cakey Norwich & District Diabetic charity auction.

Come on all you FM carpers come and have a great social, Catch a shed load uf upper double carp and maybe learn a thing or two.

Anyone who wants to talk to me can call me on my Smart Carping Number07864 959163 Please state you are FM before I get carried away trying to sell you a coaching session LOL.

Thank all look forward to seeing you all on the bank.

C

Cakey

sounds good Ian...........do you want Wols number for the BBQ ?

Rob29

Reaction score
looking forward to meeting some of you guys and tapping into your carp brains and learning a thing or 2.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Will have to check dates with work but hopefully i can make it.

Could maybe offer a few tips on casting. Would not call myself a expert but i have some experience of the surf casting scene and the various cast and there advantages and disavantages.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Will have to check dates, i have a feeling i will be working away.Cakey, do yo want a lift if i can make it?.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
Talking of lifts.... If any one else is going from the Midlands (Rugby) area I can give you a lift. With the cost of petrol now it makes sense to have a car load from the same area.

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Trev I am not far out of you way if you bring an areticulated lorry (Flat bed) you would be able to squeze me and the tackle on board /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

CatmanDan (emmo Jnr)

Reaction score
I found thatforum "big"trev, 100% agree with your views of them. well unfortunatly i joined. I might be interestedjust got to check my dates when i get back off holiday, if no objection i`d rather be on the A team ofFM.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
Just a quick reminder for everyone.

The Thorpe Lea Challenge originally started as a challenge to another forum for a carp match. Ian has sorted the venue and it has been booked for us for the 13/14 September.

Cost is going to be day ticket prices and we can stay overnight. It will be a load of frree instruction from Ian and then turn into a social.

Ian is away on hols at the minute so any new names to me please.