Thoughts on Fly Fishing

Reaction score
Nice article Ron, enjoyed the quote from RW. Now I've acquired some gear must get out and use it more....can't let it lie there til Press Manor next year!

Hope you renew your acquaintance with the rudd again..and with more success.

(Stocksbridge....that's only 40 minutes from here...hmmmm!)

Poshers

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
Peter, some don't believe it, but those blues really do fight harder, pound for pound, than a 'normal' rainbow.

Most coarse fishers will know that hybrids fight harder than either of the parent species and I reckon it's a genetic thing; could be why blue trout fight harder too.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Graham,

Some of the people I've spopken to who have caught them are besotted with the fight they give.

I think there are some in Avington now so I might take a look the next time I'm down there.

As you know, as 'certain' moderator had a near 30lb catch of Rainbow Trout from Avington last week - and that was from just 4 fish!

dezza

Reaction score
Avington - well I'd better start saving. The problem is getting the fuel to get down there.

Did fish it once many years ago and got a double.

But blue trout are not hybrids Graham, otherwise I would put their fighting power down to hybrid vigour. They are a mutant form of rainbow trout, well that is what I was told by a trout farmer. Maybe someone on Fly Forums could enlighten us on how blue trout came about?

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Graham,
I think there are some in Avington now so I might take a look the next time I'm down there.

As you know, as 'certain' moderator had a near 30lb catch of Rainbow Trout from Avington last week - and that was from just 4 fish!

There are a couple of Blues at Avington (more in their stock ponds to incredible sizes) but quite how you go about specifically targetting them I'm not sure!

Had another day there with my boss on Tuesday and had a superb day with trout to over 9lbs and - frustratingly - two chances of another very big rainbow but fluffed my lines on both occasions!

Have to agree with Ron, the Blues I had at Press Manor, although only around the 1lb mark, fought really well and spectacularly. Nice article Ron!

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Reaction score
I've been lucky enought to sample the fight of a 'blue' --and they do fight well !!

picture.php

dezza

Reaction score
There is a picture of a double figure blue trout held by Peter Cockwill which came from Avington I think, on the cover of his latest book: "Trout From Small Still Waters".

I strongly recommend this book to any trout angler, especially newcomers to the sport and those who fish mainly on small stillwaters.

Peter is a genuine type, an extremely talented angler who also likes catching big carp on the fly. I first met him at a get together of the Federation of South African Fly Fishers in Johannesburg about 16 years ago. My, how time passes.

Tommy Ruffe

Reaction score
I'm not convinced at all that Blues actually fight better than, what is essentially the same fish, rainbows. It's already become a myth.

What is blatantly obvious though is that they do stay in far better condition than than rainbows, throughout the season.

P.S. My best blue, to date, is 12lbs.