Three peaks

seth49

Reaction score

Had a run up to ribblehead viaduct today. This carries the settle to Carlisle railway over the headwaters of the river ribble, its surrounded by the three peaks of Ingleborough, Whernside, and pen-y-Ghent.
That's ingleborough at the top, then whernside behind the viaduct, then a shot of the viaduct, followed by a shot of Pen-y-Ghent,
And to put the icing on the day, I even had a spitfire fly pass.?

flightliner

Reaction score
Awesome countryside up there Seth, not the sort of place to get caught in a blizzard .
Are you sure the plane is a spit and not a hurricane --- hard to make out in your pik but the wings dont appear to have the elliptical rounded shape at their back edges?.

B

binka

Lovely scenery Seth.

I remember climbing Ingleborough as a twelve year old, I used to go on annual camp at Sedbergh in a farmers field beside the Lune and did many of the peaks around there.

Ingleborough really stood out as we managed to get engulfed in thick fog, we could barely see ten feet and then it just evaporated as instantly as it appeared, so easy to see how some get into trouble up there.

Very happy memories though, thanks for posting :)

seth49

Reaction score
You could be right about the plane there flight, it was overhead and gone in seconds, I just had time for a quick shot, I was busy with that to take proper notice of its make,probably the sound of the merlin engine I went off.

It's certainly rugged country up here in Yorkshire, it's nice to visit but wouldn't want to live here, it was very cold today.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Awesome countryside up there Seth, not the sort of place to get caught in a blizzard .
Are you sure the plane is a spit and not a hurricane --- hard to make out in your pik but the wings dont appear to have the elliptical rounded shape at their back edges?.

Definitely a hurricane, yer absolutely right about the wings :thumbs:

flightliner

Reaction score
The spit has a slightly longer nose than the hurri which seems to have a larger outward appearing cockpit.
Both superb planes in their day with many varients as WW11 progressed right down to the spits rivits being ground flush to squeese a few mph faster.
Apparently the hurri was cosidered to be able to take more hammer in a dogfight which made it a favourite amongst some of the pilots.
Seth, before I retired some of the younger members of staff did the three peaks walk for charity, it fair nackered 'em at work 'till midweek.

Last edited:

seth49

Reaction score
I'll bet it did flight, I was looking how far those hills are apart, it's a long way to get round, it would take me a couple of days if I could do it. Don't know how long they take to run it, but on a notice in one of the car parks, it said that cyclists were doing the three peaks in around three hrs. Takes a bit of believing does that.

---------- Post added at 20:48 ---------- Previous post was at 20:35 ----------

Unbelievable, just googled it and the record for runners on the present course is about two hrs forty five minutes.

flightliner

Reaction score
Some of those runners are tuff as nails seth, I was up at the grassmere sports many years ago and I was pretty fit as I was running a lot back then and thought little of legging it instead of driving , loved it but watching those fell runners going up those hills and back made me realise how lacking I was.( still do a little bit mind but folks watching might call it snailing not running lol.)

B

binka

Unbelievable, just googled it and the record for runners on the present course is about two hrs forty five minutes.

That was me!

They fixed one of those long arms to a helmet which they then hung a cherry pie from, just out of arms reach, and asked me to wear it :eek:mg: