Thrown Orf & Day Ruined - Again!

maceo

Reaction score
Just back from an abortive fishing trip - I haven't been out for ages and was looking forward to my first trip fishing this season. I only really like fishing rivers, so I've been waiting impatiently for the season to come around and looking wistfully at how beautiful the river bank looked through April and May.

With the hot weather this week, I looked at the forecast and thought today would be ideal. Took a day from my precious annual leave from work, spent my last tenner on some hemp and a pint of casters - what could go wrong?

Fortunately I went early, early and was down there by about 5:30am. Got settled in on the deserted bank and started enjoying the peace and quiet and wildlife. There was a pair of red kites in the next field and a massive school of about 50 ducks went by. Caught one or two half-decent roach, a few dace and some chublets.

Then at around 9am a car (white Range Rover Deluxe Sport - personalised plate) roars across the field and smokes up to where I'm fishing, billowing out clouds of noxious diesel particulates and scaring every fish and animal for miles around.

Posho leans out of the window (I wasn't worthy of him even deigning to dismount) and tells me in short order to pack up my stuff and clear orf! They've got a match on. What can I say? I asked what time it starts and he says they're drawing pegs at 10. Oh, I say, then maybe I could have 30 mins more until 09:30? Just use up the last of my bait. But no. Nothing doing.

I must clear orf and I must clear orf immediately he brayed. I have been economically outmuscled and he's not shy about letting me know about it. Can't pay? Then go away.

I wondered briefly about telling the little twerp to stick a feather in his hat. I'm half a foot taller and 15 years younger than him, so there's not much he can do if I refuse to jump to his orders. I expect the cops have better things to than come down the river bank to sort me out. But you know how those types are about causing a fuss and anyway, the good mellow at-one-with-nature humour that I had built up during the early morning has been smashed along with the peace and tranquility and the chances of getting anything to bite in the next hour or so. So with bad grace and a grunted surliness, I complied and he was able to roar away in another big cloud of belching pollution - job done and another serf put straight.

I get so fed up of this. They wonder how to encourage people to go fishing and then come along and chuck them off when they try to go! Fishing used to be a poor people's hobby, but now it seems that like most other things, it's becoming a rich man's preserve. I was talking to a fellow oik the other day and telling him I was thinking of going fishing and he was laughing because he said he'd seen these people fishing with special clothes and boots and a fancy chair that was better than the armchair he was sitting in! Things didn't used to be like that. It used to be a box to sit on, half a pint of maggots and free fishing - nobody bothered you.

Fishing now reminds me of playing tennis when I was a teenager. I used to play all the time with my mates, in jeans and plimsolls and with one bald tennis ball. I got pretty good at it and won some u16 county cup. They said I was "a natural" at it. But I eventually gave it up in disgust because every summer as soon as the sun came out and Wimbledon was on the telly, all the rich old ladies and gentlemen in all the proper white gear and with super-expensive racquets would show up and the words were the same. "You boys! Clear orf the courts! Now!" and then they'd play foolish pat-a-cake over the net between themselves. They had to have all the courts. There were none they could even share with us.

Fed up with it and honestly wondering whether to even bother carrying on fishing.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Shame you didn’t have a mate with a nice noisy boat and ask him to cruise up and down the match stretch for an hour or two.

Don’t get too disheartened, there must be some stretches and days where the disrespectful are doing other things or upsetting other people.

thecrow

Reaction score
If that was the attitude displayed towards me by range rover man I would have ignored him and carried on fishing, whats he going to do manhandle you off the bank? get the police to move you? good luck with that. That or tell him to **** off. He couldnt take your tackle that would be theft he couldnt touch you that would be assault and he couldnt get you prosecuted for trespass as its not against the law to trespass so long as no damage is caused.

Was this a club or private water? Who was this bloke was he just some tw*t from another club who had a match on there?

Fishing can be as expensive as you want or can be very reasonable, baits don't have to cost £1 each and posh tackle doesn't impress the fish one bit, don't be intimidated by this sort because the more that are the more they will do it

stillwater blue

Reaction score
Consider yourself lucky to get kicked off by somebody with money and perhaps a little class. Last time I got kicked off a lake the bailiff was driving an Austin Princess!

jasonbean1

Reaction score
Was that on Thames at Oxford? If so which club water was it?

sam vimes

Reaction score
I don't quite understand something here, but something doesn't quite add up. If you are fishing a genuine free water, no one, regardless of how posh, has any right to chuck you off, match or not. Matches aren't usually pegged on free water because of this. If it's a private water, the owner can do as they like, whether anyone else likes it or not. If it's a club water, the usual score is for the club to post notices of a match or include all match dates on their tickets/books. Most clubs aren't overly hard line on anglers fishing on a match day, provided they move when asked. As much as I have no interest in match fishing, I don't think it's unreasonable to stay off a river stretch once in a while. It's par for the course with most clubs. One of my clubs runs no matches of its own at all. However, we still shut some of our stretches to facilitate two or three big championship matches per year.

Whilst the attitude and manner of the individual question doesn't sound great, the car he's driving, his accent and perceived level of "poshness" are quite irrelevant. I'd expect to be dealt with just as brusquely if I fished a river stretch on a match day. However, the individual being brusque is far more likely to look like a tramp and sound like a yokel. The only saving grace is that it's not a duty I've had to perform, and I don't want to.

peterjg

Reaction score
Maceo: don't give up fishing and don't let the *******s get to you! There are still quiet, secluded fishing spots out there. I'd much rather go somewhere quiet and blank (I'm good at that) than fish some noisy hole in the ground!

maceo

Reaction score
I'd expect to be dealt with just as brusquely if I fished a river stretch on a match day.

Yes, there's some truth to what you say. Except that I obviously didn't know it was a match day and so hadn't really earned any brusqueness.

The river was indeed the Thames and it's a section that is "owned" by a club, but you can get day tickets from the farmer when he comes round. I don't mind paying £4 to fish there, but I do struggle with the concept of something like a river (which is a big feature of the landscape and local environment) can "belong" to them and not to everyone. It seems a stretch of the imagination. I wonder whether the birds, swans, deer and frogs down there belong to them as well as the wild fish?

Shame you didn’t have a mate with a nice noisy boat and ask him to cruise up and down the match stretch for an hour or two.

I must confess that the idea of going to the nearby pub and hiring one of their plastic paddle wheel boats for an hour or two did cross my mind!

Reading my post back now, it seems a bit too dramatic, but I was very fed up with my carefully planned day on the bank being spoilt. I was in a bit of a strop, truth be told. But since then, the missus was pleased to see me back early, as she hadn't wanted me to waste a day off work on stupid fishing anyway, and then there was a letter waiting for me from HMRC with £108.20 tax refund in it. So my humour now is much improved!

sam vimes

Reaction score
Yes, there's some truth to what you say. Except that I obviously didn't know it was a match day and so hadn't really earned any brusqueness.

If they don't post notices (online, local tackle shops or at entrances to the fishery) or put match dates on their tickets, the blame undoubtedly lies with them. The snag is that many plead ignorance when they get caught out. I see it regularly with my bailiff's hat on. My club day tickets are exactly the same as the year tickets. All of the rules and match dates are clearly printed on them. That doesn't stop people pleading ignorance.

The river was indeed the Thames and it's a section that is "owned" by a club, but you can get day tickets from the farmer when he comes round. I don't mind paying £4 to fish there, but I do struggle with the concept of something like a river (which is a big feature of the landscape and local environment) can "belong" to them and not to everyone. It seems a stretch of the imagination. I wonder whether the birds, swans, deer and frogs down there belong to them as well as the wild fish?

Questions on the morality of ownership are a completely different thing. Just because your personal philosophical outlook differs from many, and more importantly the law, is pretty irrelevant.

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
but I do struggle with the concept of something like a river (which is a big feature of the landscape and local environment) can "belong" to them and not to everyone.

The fishing rights might be rented by a club but they cannot own fish in a river, its an opposite situation on still waters.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't quite understand something here, but something doesn't quite add up. If you are fishing a genuine free water, no one, regardless of how posh, has any right to chuck you off, match or not. Matches aren't usually pegged on free water because of this. If it's a private water, the owner can do as they like, whether anyone else likes it or not. If it's a club water, the usual score is for the club to post notices of a match or include all match dates on their tickets/books. Most clubs aren't overly hard line on anglers fishing on a match day, provided they move when asked. As much as I have no interest in match fishing, I don't think it's unreasonable to stay off a river stretch once in a while. It's par for the course with most clubs. One of my clubs runs no matches of its own at all. However, we still shut some of our stretches to facilitate two or three big championship matches per year.

Whilst the attitude and manner of the individual question doesn't sound great, the car he's driving, his accent and perceived level of "poshness" are quite irrelevant. I'd expect to be dealt with just as brusquely if I fished a river stretch on a match day. However, the individual being brusque is far more likely to look like a tramp and sound like a yokel. The only saving grace is that it's not a duty I've had to perform, and I don't want to.

That looks clear enough to me, can't really add ewt else to it.

O

O.C.F.Disorder

Questions on the morality of ownership are a completely different thing. Just because your personal philosophical outlook differs from many, and more importantly the law, is pretty irrelevant.

He is 100% correct about owning a river. It is complete BS. Why should I not fish a river just because some tosspot thinks he owns it...? Im happy to pay for a day ticket but if there is no day ticket on offer you better believe that ill fish it anyway with a big smile on my face! Good day!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
He is 100% correct about owning a river. It is complete BS. Why should I not fish a river just because some tosspot thinks he owns it...? Im happy to pay for a day ticket but if there is no day ticket on offer you better believe that ill fish it anyway with a big smile on my face! Good day!

People do own parts of a river, they own the river bed, not me, I would need to win the lottery to be able to afford such a thing!
One thing is for sure though, if you fished the rivers round these parts with that attitude you would soon loose the smile on your face.

sam vimes

Reaction score

That's fine and dandy, but the law says different. Doing as you propose is breaking the law. No ifs, no buts. To fish legally you must have the permission of the riparian owner.

thecrow

Reaction score
As some on here know when I was younger I fished without any permission riparian or otherwise, I didn't pay any rod tax either, I never got caught for either and I would suggest that the chances then that I would be caught were much greater.

Choose when and where and no one need ever know you were there :)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
As most angler know a Riparian owner has the fishing rights from the bank side to the centreline of the river . . . .

Whilst an owner cannot "own" the fish" he does however own the "rights to agle for them"

Here are three examples of stretches foe sale on the Hampshire Avon . . . .

Lot (1) At £145,000 has around 260 metres of single bank and riverbed to the centre point of the middle reaches of the Hampshire Avon together with around 5.8 acres and a gated car park and vehicle access along the river.

Lot (2) At £80,000 has around 440 metres of riverbed to centre point and access over and right to fish from the riverbank this lot is opposite lot (1) access is by foot and over rough farmland and vehicle parking is some distance away.

Lot (3) At £80,000 is half an acre of woodland together with 250 metres of riverbed to centre point and 250 metres of roach stream to centre point, access is on foot with parking nearby.

So lot 1 equates to close to £550 per metre . . . . . Now, how would you feel if having paid out for than a "wanderer" comes along and steals your fishing rights?

O

O.C.F.Disorder

As most angler know a Riparian owner has the fishing rights from the bank side to the centreline of the river . . . .

Whilst an owner cannot "own" the fish" he does however own the "rights to agle for them"

Here are three examples of stretches foe sale on the Hampshire Avon . . . .

Lot (1) At £145,000 has around 260 metres of single bank and riverbed to the centre point of the middle reaches of the Hampshire Avon together with around 5.8 acres and a gated car park and vehicle access along the river.

Lot (2) At £80,000 has around 440 metres of riverbed to centre point and access over and right to fish from the riverbank this lot is opposite lot (1) access is by foot and over rough farmland and vehicle parking is some distance away.

Lot (3) At £80,000 is half an acre of woodland together with 250 metres of riverbed to centre point and 250 metres of roach stream to centre point, access is on foot with parking nearby.

So lot 1 equates to close to £550 per metre . . . . . Now, how would you feel if having paid out for than a "wanderer" comes along and steals your fishing rights?

I would never waste money so frivolously when I could literally buy someone in need a house for that kind of money. It disgusts me how people spend money on such things. If you have a personal stretch of river, personalized number plates, a Ferrari or the like then you aint no friend of mine. Shame on people these days.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I would never waste money so frivolously when I could literally buy someone in need a house for that kind of money. It disgusts me how people spend money on such things. If you have a personal stretch of river, personalized number plates, a Ferrari or the like then you aint no friend of mine. Shame on people these days.

That sounds like utter bullshine to me!

I have none of those things but I wish I did!
I have friends with sweet FA and friends who are very well off, I don't choose my friends because of their wealth or lack of it.

I'm not a jelous person because i'm gratefull for what I have, but I do addmitt to being envious of the luxuries money can buy.