Tidal Thames bank fishing

haywarpc

Reaction score
I love rivers, especially trotting! I tried Richmond last week,managed half a dozen bream and 3 roach all around a pound and loads of perch to abut 8oz whilst the tide was up and running (both ways) on the feeder down edge as it was tanking it through! (mainly on chopped worm) But once the tide stopped and the water slowly fell away It was just little dace and BLEAK in the rapidly disappearing water. Does anyone know anywhere on the tidal that still has a reasonable depth of water at low tide not too far fron the bank? or is it a case of either wading or walking over the exposed flats? Any tips on the tidal greatly appreciated as I drive up from east kent a coule of times a month, I am aware of the tidal influences, I just need somewhere thats not too far from the car, as parking is a real hassle too!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Haven't fished the Thames for over fifty years, use to fish Teddington Lock but that has no close parking. Another spot that did have parking nearby was Canbury Gardens in Kingston, that's non tidal though.

If you're from Kent, do you fish the Stour or Medway?

Last edited:

haywarpc

Reaction score
Fished the stour since I was a kid, still a great river but a shadow of its former self, fish the medway about once a month too, but the mighty Thames with its surprises is floating my boat at the moment! If only I could find a pleasant bit of bank to do a bit of trotting down on!

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
My club fish 2 matches a year at Kew bridge down to Grove park on the tidal.
Strand on the green being the bank we fish from. At high tide one could fish a float close in and catch dace, roach etc but before long, as I'm sure you'll appreciate, time and tide wait for no man...

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My club fish 2 matches a year at Kew bridge down to Grove park on the tidal.
Strand on the green being the bank we fish from. At high tide one could fish a float close in and catch dace, roach etc but before long, as I'm sure you'll appreciate, time and tide wait for no man...

A good moment to nip into the City Barge for a swift one.

theartist

Reaction score
I love rivers, especially trotting! I tried Richmond last week,managed half a dozen bream and 3 roach all around a pound and loads of perch to abut 8oz whilst the tide was up and running (both ways) on the feeder down edge as it was tanking it through! (mainly on chopped worm) But once the tide stopped and the water slowly fell away It was just little dace and BLEAK in the rapidly disappearing water. Does anyone know anywhere on the tidal that still has a reasonable depth of water at low tide not too far fron the bank? or is it a case of either wading or walking over the exposed flats? Any tips on the tidal greatly appreciated as I drive up from east kent a coule of times a month, I am aware of the tidal influences, I just need somewhere thats not too far from the car, as parking is a real hassle too!

The Thames at Richmond has a half lock just down river from Twickenham road bridge, this maintains depth at low tide from this point upstream to Teddington weir, there should be enough depth at low tide above the half lock whereas it's shallow fast and muddy below it.

haywarpc

Reaction score
Thanks gents, All info gratefully received (even Mr Crabtree was involved!), someone please point me to a good trotting peg on the "half tidal" above Richmond lock, I 've tried at the bottom of river lane by Petersham meadows, again it was really slow once the river stopped running, are the fish out in the middle of the river once the tide stops? Ideas anyone?

john step

Reaction score
I have not fished it for 30 odd years but there used to be good parking adjacent to the river upstream of river lane at Ham Street which is near Ham House.

theartist

Reaction score
Thanks gents, All info gratefully received (even Mr Crabtree was involved!), someone please point me to a good trotting peg on the "half tidal" above Richmond lock, I 've tried at the bottom of river lane by Petersham meadows, again it was really slow once the river stopped running, are the fish out in the middle of the river once the tide stops? Ideas anyone?

Tidal rivers are always an enigma regarding where the fish go at certain stages of tide and every river is different, i'm by no means a Thames expert but from my time on there I came to thinking that the bigger fish were usually found with the tide, my catches would also back up that by indicating there was a window when the tide was in and just dropping, often huge shoals would show up at high tide and a sometime within an hour they were gone, probably dropping back down later with the tide. Makes sense with less energy used.

It's not so much a good peg you want but a good time, look at the time tables and try to get to the river to be setting up at high tide to fish the ebb, the spots to look for are the ones where you can walk out as the tide recedes, ie steps or steps leading to gravel. When the river stops it can be hard so best to fish when it's going out.