Tight or Slack?

C

Carp Angler

I agree Philip, an indicator that lifts and drops is generally a liner, I like to think that any indication other than a liner is a hooked fish.
I think the point that you are trying to get across is how many fish mouth/sample our baits without giving any indication.
Tight, slack, fixed, running, it doesn't matter, I have seen carp pick baits up and spit them out without any indication at all, a scary thought but how many times is that happening????

steve cannon

Reaction score
i think with tight or slack lines if you worry too much you can end up running up your own back side if you can,t swim along and check your lines you might thing its a tight line but all you have done is tighten to a weed bed or a slack line could only be slack to a few feet out ?? the the thing is its what you believe and what you are confident in

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
The second Korda dvd shows just how much movement you can have at the business end, without any indication at the rod end.
Especialy when using mono.
I've been using slack lines on a semi fixed rig with 5inch hook links up to 30 yards this season and have caught a lot more than anyone else on my lake.

L

Les Clark

Going back many year`s (70`s?)to the free lined big bait`s,the size of orange`s,and monkey climer`s made out of plastic wine bottle top`s,you couldn`t really tighten up with that set up,the "monkey" was to light,so it was a semi slack lie set up and very sensitive.

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
Les, nice to have you back!!
Frothey, only really been carping for the last two seasons seriously, apart from that it was 20 years ago when I did some.
Then it was a bit like Les described and I always used running rigs as we all did at that time.
I have been using various semi fixed rigs as they were new to me, but have been doing really well.
Also doing lots of reading as I consider myself a novice.
Do you think a running rig would be better?

F

Frothey

dunno, worth a try!

have a look back a bit, there was a running rig thread not so long ago, the thing to remember is that running rigs dont really run all that well....

worth trying if you can get hold of some braid ;) (dont forget to use leadcore/tubing if you're using braid...)

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
Frothey, I always use 2 to 3 feet of ESP anchor rig tube no matter what.
The rig I have been using most for margin work is a coated flat pear inline and short hook links of 5 to 7 inches, which have been mainly 12lb Drennan micro braid to Korda wide gapes.

B

Big Rik

"and short hook links of 5 to 7 inches"

Bill, that aint short ! ! !

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
Rik, I suppose I ment shortish, I did try 3-4 inch links but didn't do very good and the same with longer links.
I found I got most takes on 5-6 inch links.
I also done better using pop ups.

F

Frothey

how high is it popped up? a 2" popup on a 5" link is a 3" link, if you see what i mean?

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
When using the pop ups I've used 5in links but only popped it up about 1/2in below the eye of the hook.
As I said I've tried shorter but not done as well.
The pop up is critically balanced and only just sinks.