Time Travel

john step

Reaction score
Modern hooks,bulk spools of quality line(sensor!!:wh) and bags of hard feed pellets and the bands to attach them.

I read once that Walker said anglers would be prepared to spend at least 6d on a decent hook. Oh I wish .
Line, I struggled to afford spools of new line a a youngster. I remember the name PDQ.
Feed pellets would have made life so much easier, carrying a bag in my rucksack on my bike. Those cloth bags of something with a name like silver sand by Spillers I think were absolutely useless and far too expensive anyway on my pocket money.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Those cloth bags of something with a name like silver sand by Spillers I think were absolutely useless and far too expensive anyway on my pocket money.

It was Silver Cloud, John but contained silver sand. By Spratts I think. At the time I thought it was great but I was learning and groundbait has come an awful long way since then.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Modern hooks; I despaired back in the late 70s/early 80s in my quest for decent hooks and then in 1985 we got the first Japanese chemically etched hooks and a short-lived golden era with some superb hooks. today I struggle to find the hooks I really want though have enough to last me.

bracket

Reaction score
I would take a 14m pole and a good feeder rod, go back to the Trent at Burton Joyce and empty it. Pete.

steve2

Reaction score
Line, I struggled to afford spools of new line a a youngster. I remember the name PDQ.

Remember both of them and used them both also use to buy my hooks I think they were a penny each or 2 a penny over the counter at the what was then the only local tackle shop EDKO in Romford.
There’s not tackle shop left in Romford now.

Despite what we now see as bad tackle I still caught plenty of fish. The main difference was that it wasn’t a big fish and big weights era where they were the only things that mattered, we just went fishing for pleasure and sometimes the pot.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I'm not so sure tackle was that bad back in the early 60's or even before that date.. I well remember match fishing with several clubs and very good bags of fish winning the dosh. I fished the Ouse at Tempsford, Holywell etc., the Hants Avon/Dorset Stour and many different stretches of the Thames and come weigh-in time most managed to put something on the scales, and this at a time when minimum sizes (goer's) applied to ALL species. None of your 'all in' stuff in those days!

70 lb bags of bream, 20lb bags of roach from the Thames and huge bags of roach/chub (I saw 32 roach for 36lbs and similar nets of that size) from the Avon, so the tackle must've been reasonable.

Going back further; I am currently reading 'My Fishing Days and Fishing Ways by J W Martin' written at the turn of the last century and even then some huge bags of fish taken by him and friends from dozens of different rivers. Have a read about huge numbers of fish from the Trent (in its prime) and other rivers the same....

Yes, I agree tackle has moved on from those days BUT it doesn't necessarily follow that today's tackle catches more than that of yesteryear........I caught my share of very good fish at club and pleasure level back then, or witnessed those made by others.

ps That said, I wouldn't want to be without my baitrunner reels now......................

daniel121

Reaction score
I'd love to travel back and fish the roach filled Trent of the 60s, I'd take my knowledge and my Daiwa tournament 13'

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I'd love to travel back and fish the roach filled Trent of the 60s, I'd take my knowledge and my Daiwa tournament 13'

You'd want to be there before about 1966, after that columnaris wrecked it. The results in the 1969 National were dire with just 9lb winning it and many blanks.

john step

Reaction score
Remember both of them and used them both also use to buy my hooks I think they were a penny each or 2 a penny over the counter at the what was then the only local tackle shop EDKO in Romford.
There’s not tackle shop left in Romford now.

Despite what we now see as bad tackle I still caught plenty of fish. The main difference was that it wasn’t a big fish and big weights era where they were the only things that mattered, we just went fishing for pleasure and sometimes the pot.

I bought my first centre pin from EDKO SPORTS.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I'd like to go to the waters l couldn't reach or afford in the sixties, with decent tackle of the day, just to convince myself that my lack of success was down to rubbish gear and waters, rather than a total lack of ability. To a large extent, that's the way I fish now, and I'm still not convinced...
All I'd take from now would be decent barbless hooks,knot less nets ,a mat and what little I've learned, or can remember, in the last 56 years.
Oh,and my car, retrofettled to burn the fuel of the erase.

Apologies for all the errors,I'm trying to type this on a tablet and the beggar's resisting.