totaly hooked

chef

Reaction score
hi, had my first trout fishing lesson today what fun really enjoyed it best bit 2 trout of about 21/2lb each still grinning now can't wait for my new tackle to arrive so i can practice and get out there again

R

Ron Troversial Clay

And when the bug bites mate, it bites hard.

Very well done, you have done much better than the vast majority.

Now it's all about doing as much as you can and learning to tie your own flies.

Once you have caught a trout on a fly devised and tied by yourself, it gets even more exciting. And make no mistake you can dress flies yourself which are far better than those you buy.

R

Richard Huggett 1

Well done my boy....see, I told you you'd love it, didn't I ? Next like Ron says is the fly tying bench...find yourself a dead pheasant, nick the wife's sewing threads and away you go. PTN in about fifteen secons !!!

Well done mate..

Rich

B

Barry Edney

Well done chef.

Funnily enough, I had my first casting lesson yesterday. And then went on to catch 3 2lbers. I've been on cloud 9 ever since. Its a great feeling aint it. :)))

It took me a couple of hours practicing on the lake to just about get it right. I'm sure the next time I go it will be like starting from scratch again. (Or is it like riding a bike) How did you get on with the casting?

As for tying me own Ron, I'm far too lazy. But I can see the attraction of catching on something you have made with your own bear hands. Maybe in a few years. (I know, theres no time like the present)

R

Ross Turner

Chef,i would recomend that you go out & buy a few materials to tie certain flies & once you have learnt them,buy some more for other patterns & go from there.
If you go by richards way the flies would more than likely fall apart as the feathers have not been treated.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

If you decide to buy a vice (Monk- shut up) don't buy anothing expensive. I have an old Indian made vice I bought in SA for ?5 and it has lasted me nearly 35 years. Before that I used a pair of grips which I put into my Dads bench vice in the garage.

On top of that you need a decent pair of small scissors, a pair of hackle plies, a dubbing needle which you make by sticking a large darning needle by the blunt end into a bit of wood and maybe a bobbin holder. I use several bobbin holders these days with different coloured tying thread on each, but this is going over the top.

For many years, I used to let the thread hang in an old bit of eraser with a slit in it.

To finish the fly you need to learn the whip finish knot. There are allsorts of complicated tools you can buy to do this.

Load of b.....ks!

I do it by hand in less than a second.

After this, all you need to do is collect materials. For feathers, a full partridge and pheasant skin will keep you going for years.

Don't for goodness sake waste vaulable cash on what are termed: "Genetic Capes".

Another load of b.....ks

Ordinary Indian red, black, cree and other colours are fine.

I tend to use cheap hen hackle on dry flies these days. They sit better on the water.

Have fun.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Barry,

If you and myself were sitting here tonight, I'd have you tying flys which will catch fish in half an hour.

Don't ever think it is difficult, it is not.

There is a load of b....ks written about the skill needed to dress flies. As long as you have decent eyesight and your hands are not disabled, you can tie up to 50 killing patterns, easily!

There are of course some technques which do take a lot of practice but these skills are mainly required with traditional patterns.

Again, I will say, don't ever think it's difficult.

chef

Reaction score
barry , it was a case of some good some bad casts i found false casting a bit awkward but hopfuly won't be as bad next time ( will be practising like mad ) the fish felt completely different as there was no weight to speak of getting in the way and they seemed to fight better than equivalent sized coarse fish i have caught
added bonus fish win the pool are up to 20lb so you never know ( i wish)

I

Ian Whittaker 1

Ross, why would the feathers fall apart if they hadn't been treated?

R

Ross Turner

Feathers that are left untreated could contain harmful mites that could cause the feathers to to be damaged,Thats why it is unwise to put fresh road kill feathers straight into your tying collection as it could wipe out the entire colection.People have said if you place them in a freezer bag & freeze then for about 2 weeks that should kill off the mites.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

By the way that advice by Ross is spot on.

I don't use feathers picked up by the wayside anymore. I buy 'em they are cheap enough and last for years.

I lost a whole suitcase full of feathers once.