Trotting-- sitting or standing.

wdd1200

Reaction score
From a seat box, modern chairs are too low, being comfy on a seat box makes all the difference.

dezza

Reaction score
Sitting with plenty of cover in front of me.

Standing can scare a lot of fish, and I do like to catch fish under my rod tip if possible.

PJ will remember me laying on my stomach at Britford.

:cool::cool::cool:

---------- Post added at 06:37 ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 ----------

From a seat box, modern chairs are too low, being comfy on a seat box makes all the difference.

I have a Korum chair which can be set as high as a seat box. It's the best chair I've ever used and has a back rest.

I agree that many of the chairs around are too low, Low chairs give me terrible backache.

dannytaylor

Reaction score
standing normally. I'll be wading this weekend, trotting for barbel. Not fished for barbel For ages so very much looking forward to it.

flightliner

Reaction score
My preferance is to stand as I feel presentation and the ability to feed is far better than sitting, indeed, its a hard to find trent swim that is fished efficiantly when sitting, tho many years ago it was seen on some of the rare bit of bank that accommadated such a posture but swims like this are very unusual these days. Back in the Trents heyday no one ever sat down and won a match as far as I know, it was all done when standing, Last year on a very low mid river near rolleston I was able to put the legs of my box to max height and do the business sitting-- the first time in decades.
Seldom if ever see a float man these days, its not a dying art anymore-- more like dead.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Seldom if ever see a float man these days, its not a dying art anymore-- more like dead.

I shall be doing just so on the Trent tomorrow.;) Whether I'll give up on it and get the dirty great feeders out after a few biteless hours is another matter entirely!;)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I do alot of wading to mid river when trotting and standing doesn't scare the fish at all. Only recently I've been catching barbel / chub etc that have followed my loose feed at the end of the rod tip. Many times I've had barbel amongst other fish species jumping within 3 or 4ft of me when standing mid river totally unconcerned about me being there.

flightliner

Reaction score
standing doesn't scare the fish at all. Only recently I've been catching barbel / chub etc that have followed my loose feed at the end of the rod tip. Many times I've had barbel amongst other fish species jumping within 3 or 4ft of me when standing mid river totally unconcerned about me being there.
Spot on mate!

Fishing Gimp

Reaction score
Always trot from standing position as float control is the most important aspect of this style. Regular feed draws the fish in to you and so long as you are not a complete wally will not put the fish off.

One tip I found useful from a real expert, was that if wading and trotting, always try to keep a bank of weed between you and the run you feed. I am constantly amazed at how close the fish will come. In fact once whilst maggot trotting, with the inevitable spillage from baiting, I felt something brush against my legs, looking down it was quite a big barbel. Not being one to look a gift horse in the mouth I dropped the tackle in, the fish took it first time and shot off between my legs; this could have been really embarassing. Luckily I was using a pin so just let the fish go and passed the rod between my legs....I got some funny looks and comments from the lads on the opposite bank, but had the last laugh with an 8lb barbel.

One other trotting tip I have found invaluable, is to use a heavier float than you think you need because the extra control it gives can make all the diffrence between a blank or a good day. Also if the weather takes a turn for the worse (almost guaranteed these days!) and the wind gets going that heavier set up means you don't have to change it and upset the established feeding and trotting pattern by messing about.

Finally if wading always wear waders...I used to wet wade a lot. This is okay in the summer but I used to do this in the winter sometimes but after my legs turned blue, a really interestng navy colour with my legs remaining blotchy with not much feeling for weeks, I decided investment in waders might be good for my health!

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
Almost always standing, but introducing loose feed downstream of me so that the fish are accepting it further down than where I'm stood.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Standing for me as well. IMO the line control is better particularly at distances of 30/40 yds or more and the strike a little cleaner if you know what I mean..

Probably a throwback from match fishing days when standing seemed to make one feel you were working harder!
Trotting the Thames back in the early 60's with a 14' spanish reed rod complete with split cane top section for 3/4 hours took some doing but then money was involved!!

jack sprat

Reaction score
Mostly standing but if from a high bank I prefer sitting if possible otherwise you're much too high to control the line. Certainly pole fishing is generally much easier on a river if you're sitting. Like to see anglers using chest waders on many of the swims I fish; you'll need a snorkel and periscope!

Roach fishing benefits from the keep low/little disturbance approach more than other fish especially if they're close in.