trout on worm

C

Chrisx Ess

When I was a kid I was a member of a club which had a stretch of the Severn near Welshpool. We used to be able to fish it for trout and salmon in the coarse close season if we freelined or used a drilled bullet, baited with worms - absolutely no maggots though [shock horror].

What I want to know from all you purists is whether this is still possible in the legal sense? I don't want to fish any trtout lakes - just rivers. If I wanted to fish lakes with a baited hook I would use trout pellets - nnot that i would be allowed to mind...but why hasn't some enterprising lake owner allowed bait fishing for trout? I'm sure there are loads of anglers who would go for that.

R

Ross Turner

Hi Chrisx,you havn`t said where abouts you are living now.Yes you are allowed to use worm on rivers for trout if the local bylaws & fishing club allows it.
There are trout fisheries that offer fishing with baits other than fly,ie,worms,spinners etc but these are usually classed as novice pools.I know a few but it depends where you are located.

I

Ian Whittaker

Check out your local byelaws Chris.Many waters in the Lake District can be fished for "trout".Permitted baits being minnow, worm, spinner & fly.The rod is supposed to be handheld not fished on a rest though.

P

Phil Heaton

I have had my weekly fix nearly all the close season, worm fishing for trout and grayling on the River Warfe and can thoroughly recommend it.
The reason that we are unable to bait and lure fish at most trout stillwaters is simply that the stock would be well and truly hammered. When trout reservoirs open their doors for pike fishing, minimum deadbait and lure sizes are generally required (usually a min. of 8").

D

Dave O'L

Ian, I think minnows are out now in the Lakes since the bi-law change.

J

John Hepworth

Fishing for grayling on the Wharfe, or any other river in the N/E during the coarse fish close season is not allowed. Although worm fishing for trout is allowed, anglers who talk themselves into thinking its OK to pretend they are trout fishing whilst hoping for other species are in my view, not fit to be considered to be an angler.

P

Phil Heaton

John,
The day ticket for the river wharfe quite clearly states that 2 trout or grayling may be taken with a minimum length of 12".
By the way trout and grayling require skill to catch even on worm, trotting through rapids, glides etc, I personally do not like catching course fish in these circumstances and try to return any by un-hooking while still in the water.
I think that you will find the more 'unethical' fisherman will continue to fish maggot during the close season, without resorting to pretending to worm fish.

J

John Hepworth

Phil,
Grayling ARE covered by the national close season for coarse fish on all rivers in England and Wales( 15th March-15th June, both dates inclusive.( Its just a pity that most club officials dont know this)
Did not intend to question anyones skill in catching them, just that grayling should not be fished for out of season. Even in season none of my friends who fish the northern rivers would even cosider fishing for, what is essentially a cold water fish, in the summer months.
As for unethical anglers, my mobile phone bill goes through the roof during the close season.(For coarse fish)
Not wishing to appear big headed, but I almost single handedly pushed through the new byelaw on Northumbrian rivers banning maggots, and most other "coarse" type baits and fishing methods during the coarse close season. Sorry but I do get quite passionate about the abuse of the coarse close season, I only wish more anglers would.

D

Darren Russell

LLandegla in n.wales has a pool for worming and spinning and i had some fun taking brown trout from a small stream be where i live its still fishing and if the outhoritise dont like it thier is always another sort f fishing afterall fishing is fishing be it Carp or trout or conger.
eh

K

Karl Miles

Don't shoot me, but...

Why are these rules in place? Why can't we go trouting with anything we like? Why do we have these 'fly-only' places? If people want to use flies let them, but what those who don't?

Can anybody advise me on the rules of fishing Loch Doon. Can I not use coarse fishing gear and baits? If not, then why not?

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Why not fly fish Karl? When I go trout fishing that's all I ever do. If you learn to fly fish you will find it the most deadly way of catching trout ever invented. Not only that, it's a hell of a lot more interesting, and dirt cheap too.

Tying flies gets you into a branch of our sport that is so fascinating, you could get hooked for life.

There is nothing more self-fulfilling than catching a trout on a fly you have tied yourself.

People who do not want to take up fly fishing are denying themselves of some of the greatest plesurers in angling, and don't think it is difficult, it is not.

K

Karl Miles

It's a fair point Ron. It was through listening to a friend at works stories of his times fishing that got me interested in the first place. He'd kindly offered to take me out to teach me how to cast, etc., but sadly he passed away before we had the opportunity to go.

I'll give fly fishing a go one day, I just wondered why the fly-only rule existed.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

The fly only rule on a lot of waters has nothing to do with snobbery or the fact that catching trout on bait might strip the water of it's stock.

You might not beleive it but I have known waters where they wanted to ban fly fishing because it was too effective. The truth about fly fishing is that it does take the aquisition of certain skills for you to catch. It is because of this that anglers who are skilled fly fishers institute a fly only rule so that you can enjoy the great pleasures that they do.

Casting a fly is not difficult, although it is advisable to have a few lessons to prevent you aquiring bad habits.

S

Stu Black

Karl, I am only a beginner at fly fishing after 4 seasons of living right in the heart of some excellent fly fishing country (Llangollen, N Wales). I fish every method for every species, so I haven't actually spent 4 seasons on the fly, BUT I have caught several trout and 2 grayling on flies tied by myself, and the feeling is immense! I'm lucky though to have quite a few mates round here who have fly fished all their lives to show me the ropes, in exchange, i'm teaching them coarse fishing and 1 now has a better barbel pb than me!