Tuna and Porbeagles off of the South West coast.

Reaction score
Whilst on holiday I talked a fair bit to mates down in Christchurch,one was telling me that he dare not fish for black bream as porbeagles regularly strip all his line,whilst he is out there he sees loads of tuna,the size of cars some of them,he has no wish to be towed across the channel for two to three hours on proper gear,so he is selling all his gear and boat,unbelievable!

theartist

Reaction score
Does sound unbelievable Alan, he wasn't pulling your chain in the pub or fallen on hard times so having to sell? Most sea anglers I know will tell you that nothing is constant and things go in phases. If there's huge tuna about they wont be around for long as everyone will be after a bit of that.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
A mate has just had three fruitless trips in the past week fishing for them. I will tell him that he should have livebaited with black bream. I bet that will please him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waldi

Reaction score
There have been lots of confirmed sightings and videos made of tuna off the Devon coast, some even in estuaries.
Porgies cetainly don't eat bream baits but will take a hooked or stressed fish.

When I used to wreck/deepwater sea fish many years ago the boat skippers used to say that every wreck or feature had it's resident shark and commonly while feathering for bait the sharks would follow a string of mackerel to the surface and severe the line.

Can't understand why he would want to sell his boat and gear though, just hang on to the rod and a shark will usually severe a trace used for bream fishing before you know it's there.

Reaction score
Look at Fish Locker on you tube Rob,he had two tuna single handed on his small boat,whilst playing them he saw several others striking bait fish around the boat,he averaged two and a half hours each fish and was completely shot after the second...

At 67 he doesn't want the hassle of the porgies,he also tells me when the mullet move out of the harbours they shoal up in their thousands over their preferred areas,the porgies gather and have a gorge...

theartist

Reaction score
Look at Fish Locker on you tube Rob,he had two tuna single handed on his small boat,whilst playing them he saw several others striking bait fish around the boat,he averaged two and a half hours each fish and was completely shot after the second...

At 67 he doesn't want the hassle of the porgies,he also tells me when the mullet move out of the harbours they shoal up in their thousands over their preferred areas,the porgies gather and have a gorge...
But these things come and go, also the forums and all other vines of the grape are monitored by the factory boats and commercial fishers believe it or not. For your mate to want to ditch his boat is a bit extreme to be honest, give it a month or so and these fish will either be plundered by the afforementioned commercial endeavours or moved on