Tying lines to spools

D

Derek Purkiss

What is the best way of attaching lines to spools.
Is it a good idea to tie the line on the spool directly or putting some kind of backing on first?

Also,what knot should be used?

B

Bob Watson

<a href=http://www.activeangler.com/articles/how-to/articles/knots/arbor.asp>ARBOR KNOT</a>

M

Mark Williams

Bob's link gives you the knot, but you asked also about backing. It is a little irritating that manufacturers still supply spools that take 600 yards of 2.6lb - why don't they make wide-arbor reels specifically for the UK market?
I buy massive spools of cheap sea line of about 10lb to pack the spool out, leaving enough room for 100 metres of 3lb, or whatever. Use any old know to join the 10lb to the 3lb - unless, of course, you know where there are roach and bream which will strip 100 metres of line against the drag!

M

Mark Williams

Err, that's 'any old knot'.... and me a journalist, an' all...

T

Tony O'dell

To be honest i dont used a knot at all ....just loop the first few lines around manually....how often does a fish strip of 100 metres of line in freshwater.....so far in 20 years of fishing..never..not even close....

Reaction score
Not useing a knot oh my the line will slip and loosen up . I use the same knot as my hook knot the grinner.
I never use backing now but on the large spools you do tend to waste a bit of line.

C

Cakey

No knots on reel = no bumps on spool so I dont knot mine and I pay the extra to have line straight through no backing.

T

Tony O'dell

Stuart....the line would never slip in a millions years!!!!!....listen to Cakey.....he knows his stuff

Reaction score
Are you sure try it on a centerpin and see what happens it would be disaster.I would follow Bob and Mark. a knot tied onto the spool will not show it's self when filled and some spools have a grove where the knot can be placed.See the spool on a Daiwa IFX5000BR this has a grove and even if you don't use the grove by the time the lines on I dare you to try and find a bump.Same with the Stell 4000 that does not hold a grand amount of line and it shows no sign of a bump.Not even my old Mitchell-Garcia reel shows a bump.

B

BUDGIE BURGESS

Remember if you are using braid to put a few metres of mono on first.

C

Cakey

Just a couple of points
1/ its a forum
2/ I didnt say do it ! I said its what I do
3/ he said spool not centre pin,being an out and out carp man I know nothing about centrepins so you might be right.

Reaction score
Sorry cakey no dig intended. You say you have never used a pin before it's worth a go. I use one for margin fishing for carp great fun and you get your own back on the reel manufacturers that supply deep spools.
I load about 100mtrs of Nash 12lb line and use a soft compound rod like the Harrison Chimera barbel snag rod.You don't get any line twist like a fixed spool but the big let down is they will not cast out at any great distance.For the old chaps out there remember the adaptor-cast?
A big sorry again.
Stu

J

John Pleasance

I use a two pass stopped hitch on fixed spools, and just tie to one of the posts on my centre pins.

I do normally put a bit of duct tape over the knot on fixed spools.

Thinking about it now, it should be possible on most spools to drill a small hole through the spool and attach it inside somewhere or somehow.Maybe to a dumbell type boile stop.

C

Cakey

Stuart
Ive seen the price of them things,I'll stick with me big pits ta.

J

John Pleasance

Cakey, you can pick up a s/h Grice and Young for ?50 or less,they're perfect for the job and as Stuart says great fun for margin fishing.

Even cheaper(a lot cheaper) would be an old Strikeright,a bit tinny but sound enough.