Umbrellas

J

John Pleasance

Robert, in a tight spot you can set the outer two grounded ribs at a right angle to the centre pole and it's only half as wide,still keeps the weather off too.

It's normally best in these circumstances to put the centre pole at one rear corner of your sitting position,so that the one half of erected brotel is behind you and the other half is alongside you, it does depend on the wind direction though.

You do sometimes have to play about as to how best to erect it but it will normally fit somehow,except in a facing wind, but no brolly is any good then anyway.

K

Keith Miller

I have yet to investigate fully, but it has occurred to me that a Beach Buddy or Trident shelter might be a possibility. The originals were designed to be retained by sand or shingle on beaches, but I believe there is a version for use on more normal surfaces.

D

Dave O'L

The Brotel can be set flat back or at an angle.
I've found pegs with screw ends do the job. If the wind is that strong you need to peg a brolly anyway.

Put a long Gardner screw pole in and you can set to any height on banks. I had the family sitting on a high bench by Grasmere, covered with headroom last summer.

I've fitted 2 Dinsmore Power Sticks to 2 ribs if realy bad weather.
Using these it would be possible to set the Brotel on a horizontal plane & sit under it.

If it's not that bad I don't take anything - if it is, sitting under a brolly ain't fun.

P

Paul Williams

Dave o,
Don't you think it's time you purchased a tent for those family fortnights in the lakes? :)

D

Dave O'L

Na! A bit of exposure to the elements will do the kids a world of good!