Understanding Trout Fishing: A Question on Tactics

emmamark

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I've been delving into the world of trout fishing recently and I've got a burning question.

When targeting trout in rivers, what tactics do you find most effective?

I've tried a variety of lures and baits, but it seems like the trout in my area can be quite picky.

Do you have any specific techniques or strategies that consistently yield good results?

I'm particularly interested in hearing about any subtle adjustments you make based on factors like water temperature, current speed, or time of day.

emmamark

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I've been delving into the world of trout fishing recently and I've got a burning question.

When targeting trout in rivers, what tactics do you find most effective?

I've tried a variety of lures and baits, but it seems like the trout in my area can be quite picky.

Do you have any specific techniques or strategies that consistently yield good results?

I'm particularly interested in hearing about any subtle adjustments you make based on factors like water temperature, current speed, or time of day learn more.
thanks in advance for any help

Keith M

Reaction score
Although a few of us occasionally fish for trout I would point you to the ‘North American fly fishing forum’ on the menu bar at the top right of this forum page; where you should find the answers you seek.
There must be members on there who fish for trout on lures as well as flies.

This is a ‘mainly’ a UK Coarse fishing forum with a small number of members that reside elsewhere.

Keith

Last edited:

John Aston

Reaction score
I fly fish as much as I coarse fish , primarily on becks and rivers . So much depends on location , local conditions and time of year but technique and watercraft are more important than pattern , usually , but not always. Any decent trout angler will use a range of different techniques, often on the same day. Each pool is a different problem to solve but when you crack it you'd be amazed at how many fish you can catch , and from places youd never dream of trying with float or leger.

With that caveat , you won't go far wrong early season with klink and dink ,using a 14-16 goldhead pheasant tail nymph . But you need to be opportunist , so if you see a hatch of olives ,switch to dry fly PDQ - I';d use a CDC pattern or an Adams (14-18 depending on size of natural ) . Later in the year , it is more upstream nymph with long leaders and dry fly in the evenings. Lures have limited use but can be fun . North Country spiders too- very good early season especially

Lots on Youtube but PM me if you need more hints

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I am nowhere near as advanced as John but I often caught trout on anything with silver on it in some of the small streams I used to fish. I cannot remember the specific flies but I think if it flashed a bit those trout used to zoom out of the weed whenever I used one.

Aussie Bob

Reaction score
TBH when trout are on the feed there is not much they wont touch. Worms are always a good bait , small live baits as well but i have had most success {in lakes} on corn. Powerbait in all its different forms can be effective for trout and is easily available. If the rivers are stocked trout pellets can be ground up add an egg and make into a paste which you mould onto the hook. Lures traditionally mepps spinners or similar are good but hardbodies and soft plastics can also get trout.
Your best bet is to go and ask for advice at your local tackle store or look for a fishing forum where people are fishing your local waters.