Unicorn inn b/b

caelan

Reaction score
Morning tanglers
has anyone fished or stayed at the inn an fished the severn please need to get booking our next trip away

bezzer

Reaction score
I've fished both the Unicorn and the Kinver stretches on that side of Hampton Loade. In Summer they're horrendous places, full of p*ssed up campers.
Much better in the Autumn and Winter when the campsite is empty.
Have you thought about The Ship Inn at Highley?

theartist

Reaction score
I've fished both the Unicorn and the Kinver stretches on that side of Hampton Loade. In Summer they're horrendous places, full of p*ssed up campers.
Much better in the Autumn and Winter when the campsite is empty.
Have you thought about The Ship Inn at Highley?

This can be true of all the riverside accommodation at this time of year down there, depending on the clientele, a little walk either way will get you away from the circus though but not the canoes which peak between 1 and 4pm, morns and eves still best if you have lines out.

bezzer

Reaction score
This can be true of all the riverside accommodation at this time of year down there, depending on the clientele, a little walk either way will get you away from the circus though but not the canoes which peak between 1 and 4pm, morns and eves still best if you have lines out.

The Unicorn is totally different to The Ship Inn. The Ship Inn has no landing or launching of canoes and doesn't have a caravan park and campsite attached. I'd never recommend fishing the Unicorn stretch in the summer months.
Nothing you can do about the canoes between Bridgnorth and Bewdley. You'll get them throughout the summer whatever stretch you fish.
I've stayed and fished at The Ship many times and it's chalk and cheese compared to The Unicorn.

theartist

Reaction score
The Unicorn is totally different to The Ship Inn. The Ship Inn has no landing or launching of canoes and doesn't have a caravan park and campsite attached. I'd never recommend fishing the Unicorn stretch in the summer months.
Nothing you can do about the canoes between Bridgnorth and Bewdley. You'll get them throughout the summer whatever stretch you fish.
I've stayed and fished at The Ship many times and it's chalk and cheese compared to The Unicorn.

Yeah I get that, the Unicorn does have a reputation that's for sure, but on any given day especially in silly season you can find yourself next to a rowdy bunch, even the expensive log cabins can be larey. I prefer staying a bit away from the river when overnighting.

As they say for the canoes - They start at the top and end at the bottom and get louder as they go, funny enough they don't actually effect the fishing although trying to explain to each boat you ain't got any lines out like the others when you're float fishing gets a blank stare most times.

bezzer

Reaction score
Yeah I get that, the Unicorn does have a reputation that's for sure, but on any given day especially in silly season you can find yourself next to a rowdy bunch, even the expensive log cabins can be larey. I prefer staying a bit away from the river when overnighting.

As they say for the canoes - They start at the top and end at the bottom and get louder as they go, funny enough they don't actually effect the fishing although trying to explain to each boat you ain't got any lines out like the others when you're float fishing gets a blank stare most times.

I was answering the OP's question re staying at The Unicorn.
I gave my opinion about fishing it, pointing out the problems fishing there in the summer and offered an alternative.

theartist

Reaction score
I was answering the OP's question re staying at The Unicorn.
I gave my opinion about fishing it, pointing out the problems fishing there in the summer and offered an alternative.

I know,
I agreed about the Unicorn to an extent, a little walk either way and it's quiet, other places can be noisy too depending on who's there, including The Ship
Probably good for the OP to have as much info as possible

Last edited:

caelan

Reaction score
thanks gents will have another look around unless you guys can put me on a day ticket stretch up that way need to park close to the fishing as we have an OAP fishing with us many thanks :