Update from Redditch Tackle Fair

Thomas Turner

Trade Member
Reaction score
As always, a very enjoyable event. The National Vintage Tackle Fair held at the Abbey Stadium, Redditch, is just the place to go for some retail therapy. The opportunity to meet and chat with collector friends is worth the trip alone.

The stall holders plus a few dealers have access on the Saturday night for a couple of hours to set up stalls. It’s a manic rush to trying to balance setting out your stall to sell or display or rush around trying to grab a bargain. My wife Ali and I had a great time over the weekend.

Of course, everyone must buy a copy of “Rupe” Attwood’s new book “A century of the art of making fishing reels”. Informative, well written, with many surprises in the “who makes what “category plus signed by one author to another. The singing Billy Bass, mint in box, will reside in my tackle room encouraging people to leave when the time is right.

As the Redditch event progressed into Sunday the buying continued with many varied items. Two very different fishing creels were added to the total. One, a mint condition split reed creel with leather banding and the second, a rare alloy backed wooden creel with a pinned frame. Use or display, two great items.

redditch-2-800x320.jpg

A pre booked appointment at midday saw a client bring this fabulous Andrew Davis The Nottingham Style roach rod with special order close whippings. 11’6” long two-piece split cane rod designed for mono lines 2-5lb; this is rod No10. Click here to view on the website.

redditch-3-800x252.jpg

But the best and not the most expensive item bought is this Allcock’s Reflex 1926 Pattern casting reel in the makers box with French factory paperwork. Not seen a better example.

redditch-4-800x358.jpg

Stunning condition and fully working. It’s similar to the Hardy Silex and the later Allcock’s Easicast reels by J W Young (see Rupe’s book). This will be a great addition to any collectors cabinet or the occasional mad angler to fish with it. Now that’s a photograph we will publish, buy it and try it. This is currently for sale, view it here on our website.

We look forward to seeing you at the Redditch Fair in November, perhaps through Ray McLaren’s window of fame…..

redditch-5-300x400.jpg

Have a look through the ‘latest arrivals’ page on our website. Here you will find many exciting, pre-owned, high quality, vintage and antique fishing tackle items available to buy.

As always, if you have anything you are looking to sell or have valued then get in touch!

office@thomasturner.com

01782 698787 / 07535 5690617

The post Update from Redditch Tackle Fair appeared first on Thomas Turner Fishing Antiques.

Continue reading...

Aknib

Reaction score
Every year I want to visit this and every year it passes me by without realising.

I quite fancy going as an exhibitor and just chewing the fat but not sure if my interpretation of vintage from the 70's and 80's, complete with Winfield inspired float collections, would meet up with the expectations of visitors looking well beyond that.

The term 'vintage' doesn't have a defined date era after all so who knows.

I know Redditch very well having done business there for nigh on thirty years and i'm very fond of a town which is not only steeped in angling history but has been very kind to me yet can I buggery remember when it comes to it.

So...

November it is then, but please...

Somebody remind me! :)

@Clive

Reaction score
I have a Reflex reel dated from the 1920's. It was made in 1927 by a company in the Loire region of France purely for tournament casting. You cannot fish with them as the casting brake is counter intuative to fishing. It is a complicated mechanism with the possibility of making adjustments to the brake. There were at least two companies making these reels and they date from around 1919 into the 30's when tournament casting began to decline.

Front Plate.JPG
Hologram Pattern.JPG

Internal.JPG

Components.JPG

The reel is made from a very light alloy and designed to be used with the line coming off the top that goes under the arm that is connected to the friction brake seen bottom left in the third photo. You can cast without touching the reel. It will stop without over running. Because they can't be used for fishing they tend to be in good condition and usually have the instructions (in French) and the box. At some point Allcocks either started buying them from the French makers or copied them. The English reels usually have Stag's Head logo.

Last edited: