Upper Severn Barbel

malc donaldson

Reaction score
can anyone tell me if Barbel are common on the severn between Forden and Newtown ,some wonderfull water up there but only dace,chub,grayling,and trout show....

S

STEVE POPE

Hi Malc,

Seeing as I'm about to up sticks and move away from Essex to an area very close to the stretch you mention I will be as interested as you in hearing any replies.

I wouldn't have thought the barbel are common and consequently people will be guarded in their response and you can't blame them.

I'm really looking forward to finding out for myself though as it seems to me there could well be untapped treasure and for sure the surroundings truly are something special.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
If Barbel are not there it's the only bloody place they are'nt.

I can not see why barbel would not be there.

Mind you with all this water around they could turn up anywhere, that includes your back garden.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

The barbel are there but in isolated areas. There are quite a few stretches apparently with no barbel at all, and others with more than their fair share, but even on those the swims have to be found as they're not exactly widespread. For someone who has the time and prefers their fishing to be as close to pioneering as you can get today, then the upper Severn is as good as it gets.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

This article was written for FM 7 years ago, about upper Severn barbel that were seen/caught in the early 1990's. If this doesn't inspire you then nothing will.

Incidentally, I know the author, Wayne Moores, personally and have fished with him several times. You can take it for granted that what he says in the article will be spot on. He's an excellent angler and not prone to exaggeration.

S

STEVE POPE

Hi Graham,

Many thanks for posting the link to that article, I've just been on to the solicitor to get his finger out regarding my move!

What with areas of the Wye becoming more accessible and the Upper Severn, not forgetting the other rivers in striking distance the concerns about leaving my roots are lessening with each passing day!

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

Just don't forget to tell me when you find those upper Severn barbel Steve:0)

malc donaldson

Reaction score
With the Severn flooded, does anyone think the Teme is fishable around the Stamford bridge/clifton areas and how much water would be on .....tried asking at our local tackle shop but no one has been over this way....thanks

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Very interesting that article Graham, I know the Severn pretty well and if I hadn't read it with my own eyes I might have doubted it. It wasn't an area noted for its big fish but there were always stories of solitary big chub and Pike, good dace fishing but never a 'barbel area'.

Of course fish will move to all extremities of a river given time but the upper Severn has been a part of the river that was only explored by a few anglers even when the BAA had rights on a lot of it because the belief was that it wasn't a noted fish area. We live and learn don't we no matter how old we get. It is a lovely part of the river of that there is no doubt, scenic and largely unspoilt and visited rarely by me and most other anglers, I would have thought access could be a problem though.

A

Albert Watkinson 2

i had a newsagents business in llanidloes and waded the severn down to welshpool were i t was possible.trout and chub were the target in 1977 and i retired soon after before we thought about barbel being there.i know a few spots to fish for them.a gravel swim under the bridge at caersws for instance.i had many nice chub from this swim.happy days
albert

P

Phil Hackett The common Boastful Expert :-)

Happy days eh Graham! Wayne and Tony told me the same story one night on the Mere.

Over 25 years ago I did a lot of chubbing in the upper Severn area and caught quite a few small barbel 2-4 lb bracket from both rivers, Vyrnwy and the upper Severn.

If those pioneering fish have followed the same trend as they have done on the Ribble, Dane, Wye and many other rivers nationally, then there are, I?d suggest, some good ?virgin? fish to be had for those dedicated to catching them.

Conversely to what Wayne says about the one Salmon angler he met, I always found them very helpful regarding what coarse fish they caught and from where. They put me on to many a good chub swim over the 4 years I fished the river intently.

If I was to go back now, I?d adopt a roving approach, light and mobile, as I did for my chub fishing. Baiting 6-8 swims with pellet, and fishing them for no more than an hour at a time.
The beauty of the upper reaches is that you?re unlikely to see another angler during your session and the only 'competition' you'll get is from the fish.
Now along with the scenery that is priceless in these days!

BTW if you?re into birds, that area now has a lot of Red Kites that hunt the upper reaches.

Mr Pope you're one lucky man!

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

Happy days indeed Phil, and I keep promising myself a return.

S

STEVE POPE

Hi Graham,

Once I'm settled in and sorted out the club tickets etc I'll let you know!
Perhaps we'll get the chance to meet up and have a fish together.

Hi Phil,

The main reason for moving to that area apart from good value for money is the breathtaking scenery. I'm looking forward to a lot of walking, Kerry - Ridgeway etc and generally just soaking up the atmosphere while I'm still fit and able!
The people in the surrounding villages seem friendly enough and the pace of life is going to be so much better but I'm a bit concerned about the driving on all the country roads, everyone seems to race about at breakneck speeds, far worse than down South!

Hi Eddie,

Just between Newtown and Bishops Castle,up in the hills with hundreds of sheep for neighbours!
Just fancy a change from the Essex way of life.

All the best.

E

EC

As said earlier, nice part of the world mate, lots and lots of water that hardly sees an angler from one season to the next!

phill mcguire

Reaction score
hi ya steve sounds like a cracking part of the country, now get to the soliciter and give him a kick up the backside!!!

paulhereford

Reaction score
Hello Steve, my partners family live in Newtown and Churchstoke. We were in Newtown Monday and Tuesday of this week and I too was wondering if barbel are present in the Severn in the Newtown area. Lovely part of the world...almost as nice as Hereford !!!!

R

Robert Woods (ACA)

I used to play darts for The Grapes Hotel in Newtown.

G

Gary Knowles

Graham is spot on, there are good barbel and chub in this part of the river but the fishing is generally very slow (hard?).

That said its a stunning place, miles of free river to do what you want and the rewards, when they come are well worth the effort.

I'm going back this winter Graham on the upper Severn and Vynwy after the chub....cant wait

E

EC

I might well see you there Gaz, I work in Oswestry up until xmas!