Upsetting threads

The occasional angler

Reaction score
I was upset to see a thread on a popular pike fishing forum targeting John Bailey. Honestly, we as fishermen are part of the same community, we should be getting behind each other and those new to the sport.
There is a responsibility to the next generation of anglers not to set a president for this kind of behaviour.

rich66

Reaction score
It seems the way of the world now, so many keyboard warriors. Who’s only aim is to upset or negate someone else’s successes.

Sometimes I think the old forum rule of “please don’t feed the troll” is the best way.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I’m assuming this is the thread currently ongoing on the Pikers Pit forum which I was reading a few days ago.

If you’re upset why not state your case and defend Mr.Bailey on that forum?

I don’t know him, don’t read his articles in the angling press or anywhere else but in the current online culture I am not surprised at the negativity towards his claims if the quotes have accuracy, i.e. 9lb chub, 7lb perch and 20lb tench to name a few.

Whilst John continues to get stuff published and advises tv angling shows I don’t suppose he gives a hoot.

The occasional angler

Reaction score
Agreed, if half a much effort was spent on positive reinforcement , rather than negative point scoring, I think the angling community as a whole would really benefit and would be more attractive to those starting the sport. I’ve seen those new to the sport absolutely blasted for mistakes we have all been guilty of and it’s very sad.

The bad one

Reaction score
As I guess many on here are like me, don't have clue what you are going on about? So what was said and why was said and in what contexts was it used in, would be of some use to readers of Fishingmagic!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As I guess many on here are like me, don't have clue what you are going on about? So what was said and why was said and in what contexts was it used in, would be of some use to readers of Fishingmagic!

It’s a thread as I said on the Pikers Pit forum titled BS Bailey. In many ways it’s not unlike our current stupefying gay carp threads running at the moment, which incidentally would do more harm as an advert for angling than anything that’s been written about JB.

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
I’m assuming this is the thread currently ongoing on the Pikers Pit forum which I was reading a few days ago.

If you’re upset why not state your case and defend Mr.Bailey on that forum?

They're a pretty savage lot on that forum - I once voiced an opinion on a thread about (of all things) the banning of certain provocative tattoos in the US Armed Forces. I haven't bothered posting on there since...

The occasional angler

Reaction score
I know exactly what you mean...... what’s needed is respect and understanding between members of the same community... it can only strengthen it

sam vimes

Reaction score
It used to be considered to be pretty bad form to go cross forum like this.

However, it's really not worth worrying about, I'll bet John Bailey isn't losing any sleep. There's barely a "name" angler out there that won't have a collection of detractors. Whether or not they actually deserve to have detractors is another matter entirely.

I actively try to avoid it, but have had the odd minor brush with some "names". I've met some distinctly average anglers that are lauded. Some are guides, some angling authors/journalists. Some are rather economical with the truth along the way. Some are downright thugs, liars and backstabbers. It shouldn't come as a big surprise when others are only too pleased to shoot them down. Even if they don't deserve it, good old jealousy can be enough of a motivation for some.

Personally, I can't think of anything worse than being involved in all of that nonsense. Just take it all with a pinch of salt. However, be wary of putting anyone on a pedestal. Things are not always as they appear.

Philip

Reaction score
I have written on here a few times a tale about John Bailey who I ran into by accident down on the Wye when I was a young angler and he went out his way to help me and had absolutely nothing to gain from it.

I dont know about the thread in question or the claims but I know hes done allot of fishing outside the UK...Baltic Perch for example go a lot bigger than the British record...

I imagine some anglers might even thrive on the criticism. ...no such thing as bad publicity ?

The occasional angler

Reaction score
I totally agree, I met John when backpacking in india with my wife. He lent me his rod for a week and I caught my first mahseer... he really helped and encouraged me

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I totally agree, I met John when backpacking in india with my wife. He lent me his rod for a week and I caught my first mahseer... he really helped and encouraged me

I say again, why not defend JB and offer an alternative view on the thread that upsets you.

The occasional angler

Reaction score
Previous experiences on the particular forum aforementioned has led me to the conclusion that they are more interested in combat than conversation.

Last edited:

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
There certainly can be some coin flippers on forums, do the mods intervene, or are they as bad as the others?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Previous experiences on the particular forum aforementioned has led me to the conclusion that they are more interested in combat than conversation.

If that’s the case and you know what they are like, don’t allow them to upset you.

bullet

Reaction score
Never heard of said site and just had a look out of curiosity.
Seems some like him and some don't.....
Pretty standard, really, for anyone in the limelight.