Vintage Rod -Help

leonardo464

Reaction score
I have a vintage (cica 30's/20's) Rod .Signed/ Marked as :
Aspindales , Manor Works, Redditch . The Avon no. 892 It needs new line guides , so the question is do I do it before I sell it or sell it as it is? I believe value is in excess of £100 + ? any suggestions ?

Roy the Rod

I ma in Shropshire any ideas where to get the rod redone?

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Are you sure that says Avon and not Aero?

barbelboi

Reaction score
The Aero No. 892 split cane rod was made by James Aspindale of Redditch - never heard of the 'avon' either.

PS PM sent that might be of help.
Jerry

Last edited:

ashbycut

Reaction score
I know it's been some time since the posts above were made, but this is the only other mention I can find on the internet of an Aspindale's "The Avon 892."

I have just acquired one of these rods, clearly hand written with "The Avon. No. 892. Aspindale's, Manor Works, Redditch.

It is a 12 foot, 3 piece, all split cane rod with a 20 inch cork handle.

I thought that it may have been mis-listed.

The female ferrule is missing on the butt section, and shows the possibility that this is not hollow built ... hence the different nomenclature.

I hope to compare the taper with an 'Aero 892, and will let you know the outcome of this comparison.

ashbycut

Reaction score
Well ... it's just dawned on me that, looking at the name and the location of the person who posted the original mesage in this thread ... which I spotted on the internet ... and traced to this forum ... and joined in the hope that I had found another Aspindale's "The Avon 892" ... in actuality it's the same rod which I have bought !!!!! :eek:

Actually ... I'm still laughing !!! I can assure the two members who asked if it was actually an "Aero 892" it REALLY IS an "The Avon 892" ... promise !!!

A friend who has an "Aero 892" has weighed his butt section, and I can confirm that it weighs 0.002 grammes less than mine ... seeming to confirm that my rod, too, is 'hollow-built.'

It has been suggested to me that this may be the first 892 made ... and called The Avon prior to the series being given the name 'Aero.' I suppose we'll never know.