Vintage Tackle Collectors coming back to market?

Thomas Turner

Trade Member
Reaction score
Not quite in drones but it has been a busy few weeks at Thomas Turner and our buyers (both of us!) have been busy scouring the globe (literally) considering some incredible collections of vintage and also more modern tackle being offered to us. Most of these are coming from long time collectors who feel now is the time to scale back their collections.

Many of these collections are in final negotiations and we hope to be featuring some rather special items over the coming weeks.

My own ventures once again around the dreaded M25 unfolded a great collection in Chelsea from a Canadian customer of mainly vintage Hardy reels and some superb split cane trout rods from Hardy and David Norwich. Even a parking ticket did not dampen my enthusiasm for this collection.

Chelsea1C-533x400.jpg

Cream of the bunch and quite a surprise was to find a “Hardy Farne Ebona 5 1/8″ reel with Silex No 1 action. Dave knew far more about this reel than me and he confirmed that apart from being a super rare reel it has a very interesting spring check mechanism as per John Drewitts book – ‘Hardy Brothers, The Masters, The Men and Their Reels’ page 399. Made for Sea fishing and Mahseer we were very fortunate to be able to acquire this reel. Marvellous addition to any collection. On the site now. As they say “Find me another one”.

Hardy Patent 'Farne' Ebona Reel 5 1/8 With Silex Patent Action RARE

Check out also a superb as original Hardy Perfect 4.25” from the 1950’s which unusually appears unused. Very rare find in this condition. One to collect or use.

Check out the images of these reels on our newly acquired Farlow cabinet.

Chelsea1D-533x400.jpg

Finally to add variety to our recent purchases a long standing customer wanted to sell the remainder of his 60’s match rods and reels. A great collection of Normarks, Drennan, ABU and Youngs rods coupled with some nice Sage spin and fly rods together with Centre Pin reels. Will be on the site soon.

Looks like one of us will be in Mexico soon to conclude a major purchase. I wonder with a band of snow due to fall, if Dave will ask me to cover that one?

As always, if you have anything you wish to sell or have valued, please get in touch with us!

davetownsend@thomasturner.com

07535 590617 / 01275 261099

The post Vintage Tackle Collectors coming back to market? appeared first on Thomas Turner Fishing Antiques.

Continue reading...