Wally.

The Squire

Reaction score
Hello, I live in Barjarg N E Vic Australia where we have two large Lakes full of Murray Cod and some big Carp not as big as some in the UK.
I was born in Winchester UK in 1946, and grew up in Butts Green in Lockerley where I fished the Dunn and caught my first fish a Grayling with 4lb line wrapped around a bit of wood from a bridge.
After I was invalided out of the Royal Marines I joined the Merchant Navy and met my now wife of over 50 years on a cruise After her 16 day cruise I asked her to marry me she said if you come back to Australia I will. So that is why I am in Aus but deep down I am still English not an Ozy. My backyard
IMG_1068.JPG

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hello Wally
that has to be one of the most interesting introductions we've had, I look forward to hearing about your fishing exploits down under in the HDYGO thread, lots of photos please!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hello Wally,
As John (s63) said, really interesting introduction, great scenery in your picture!
Look forward to more pictures, they make a post so much better ?.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. An informative and interesting introduction is overdue so well done to you. Oz remains on my bucket list to visit . Love to see pics of some of your fish species.

Last edited:

bullet

Reaction score
Nice pile of logs there, Wally.
Look forward to hearing about your angling exploits down under.

The Squire

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome Lads, hoping to try my luck on Trout Friday in Lake Eildon. The Brown Trout are in close to the shore, I don't own a boat so the Rainbow's are too deep off shore. Average size are 2 - 4kg both species.
My outfits for nearly all of my fishing are a Daiwa 26 year old 8ft quiver tip 2 -5kg with a Daiwa BG 2500 spinning reel and 6lb Suffix advance Mono. This set up has even caught a Cod 76cm 8.3 kg.
The other is a Silstar 8ft 2 - 5kg nibbler tip, with a Penn Battle 11 3000 with 10lbs Suffix advance mono.
My rigs are paternoster with Bomb sinker and size 6 circle, or a running been sinker and size 6 circle hook.
Bait is only Worms, Yabbies and Shrimps nothing else.
1Kilo fish would be my average catch but a little heavier gear is used for the extra big one. Most of them I lose through bust offs and through their logs and cover.

Wally

john step

Reaction score
Welcome to FM. It will be nice to see a photo of a Murray Cod. Thats a big pile if toothpicks in your photo.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I could of sworn John (S63) had just posted on this thread?

Did I imagine it?