WANTED: FM Concept Rod.

Rickrod

Reaction score
How much did these rods cost new

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Reaction score
I don't think they produce them any more --- and I doubt they'd set everything up to make 1 rod

If I get a chance I could call into Harrisons and have a word with Steve(Harrison) or one of the lads there to find out for you --his workshop isn't too far from me ...

preston96

Reaction score
I don't think they produce them any more --- and I doubt they'd set everything up to make 1 rod

If I get a chance I could call into Harrisons and have a word with Steve(Harrison) or one of the lads there to find out for you --his workshop isn't too far from me ...

What Ed meant was........i'll find out what time the close and see if i i can sort you one out! :wh

dezza

Reaction score
I have two, including the original design which used single leg SiC rings.

The original idea was mine but the rod was designed jointly by Graham Marsden, Dr. Steve Harrison and me.

The original idea was to have an all round big fish rod in carbon fibre but with an action inspired by **** Walker's Mk IV carp rod. Since it's inception the rod has been used by many anglers to catch a whole variety of big fish. I have caught everything from 16lb pike, 1 1/2 lb roach, 7lb tench, 5 lb chub to 11 lb barbel on mine.

The original specification was thus if I can remember:

Length: 11 feet
Pieces: 2
Test Curve: 1 1/2 lbs
Handle: 22 inches cork
Reel Seat: Fuji DPS downlocking
Rings: Fuji SiC throughout single leg*
Keeper ring: Yes
Varnishing: Only the whippings, blank to be left matt.
Action: A through action utilising a compound taper where the butt under the handle is stiff. The tip 18 inches of the rod is tapered quite quickly to give a delicate tip for bite detection.

This rod can be used for a great variety of coarse fishing from float fishing to light legering. It's not designed to cast long distances.

I was talking to Mike Helliwell, technical manager of Harrisons the other day who told be that they certainly can still make the rod.

* The later rods were fitted with double leg rings on GM's suggestion.

Rickrod

Reaction score
Hi Ron, did you write about this rod in the angling star at the time ..?

dezza

Reaction score
Yes...........

---------- Post added at 12:01 ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 ----------

Those who were able to buy this rod for £99 in 2001, got an absolutely unbelievable bargain. By today's prices there are over £30s worth of SiC rings on the rod for a start.

Expect nothing less than £200 for this rod if assembled in the UK.

Last edited:

dezza

Reaction score
It has recieved a double airing - the FM Concept I mean.

I hadn't done any serious coarse fishing for over 3 years, fly fishing claiming the lion's share of my fishing activities. This year however I am back on the coarse fishing trail and was keen to give one of a pair of rods I possess an airing.

They are the Harrison Fishing Magic Concept rods, designed by Graham Marsden, myself and with essential help from Dr Steve Harrison of Harrison Advanced Rods.

Even though I say it myself, what excellent rods these Concepts are and even though the design is over 10 years old, it is bang up to date. I cannot think of a better rod to handle general legering in river and still water for tench, barbel, chub, bream, big roach and even pike. In fact I have landed double figure fenland pike on mine, no problems whatsoever.

Yesterday I was using one of my Concepts to fish for tench on a local stillwater using method feeder tactics. Again I was impressed by the forgiving nature of the rod, and also its capablity of casting a large oversized method feeder a considerable distance with only a gentle swing. The all-through nature of the rod's action enabled this to be done without the feed parting from the feeder.

I didn't catch any tench (I think they were in spawning mood) but I did catch a couple of lively carp one of them bending the rod way past it's test curve.

What a super rod. It's a pity it's not still availabe.

dezza

Reaction score
Some years ago a bloke walked up to me whilst I was fishing the Trent. I had just landed a nice 9 pound barbel on the rod.

"Is that the Fishing Magic Rod?" he asked. I told him it was.

"Hrrumph! It doesn't look much." He answered and went on his way.

These rods certainly do not look much as they are stripped of all forms of austentation. Just a matt black carbon blank with plain black whippings, a plain cork handle and a reversed down locking Fuji DPS reel seat.

But the rings are the finest money can buy and the carbon blank has a pedigree that would leave most other rods far behind.

Pick one up and you will see what I mean.