Water Temperatures

barbelboi

Reaction score
I also believe that after a while you will form your own picture about the relationship with temperature and the behaviour of different fish species in the rivers that you are familiar with. Although there are some general rules relating to how fish will react to temperature all waters do not seem to follow the exact pattern and neither do the fish.................

no-one in particular

Reaction score
It is very rare to see many different species caught in a lake or a river on the same session. Usually one or two dominate, and then it can change from day to day, week to week. I dont think its just they rarely get hungry all at the same time, fish can go a long time without any food, they dont have to maintain a body temperature like us. I think certain conditions trigger thier feeding patterns. Why do we have so many different species, what drove that evolution if it wasn't adaptation to different conditions?

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
Let’s not forget the old wives tale that pike feed best after the first frost in October and in cold water. They don't, they feed best in the summer.

mikench

Reaction score
Just when i thought i was beginning to master this fishing lark and had all the gear imaginable, You now tell me I need to adapt an aquarium thermometer to test water temperatures. :rolleyes:

I can barely bring myself to plumb up as it is. If I think it's too b****** cold ill stay home.

Reaction score
Let’s not forget the old wives tale that pike feed best after the first frost in October and in cold water. They don't, they feed best in the summer.

They feed insatiable in April,May and June the beggars,lol...

Mike,it's never that cold,blooming heck,you ought to have come beach fishing for cod on the east coast in January and February ,now that was parky...

mikench

Reaction score
Alan , i regard cold as when the lake is frozen and I'm convinced my reel has been immersed in a bucket of sand for a couple of years. That reminds me to make sure the glycerine is in the car.

Im still in shorts and flip flops.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Just when i thought i was beginning to master this fishing lark and had all the gear imaginable, You now tell me I need to adapt an aquarium thermometer to test water temperatures.

Just wait til it gets back on to atmospheric pressure...........................;)

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Just wait til it gets back on to atmospheric pressure...........................;)

Moon phases don't forget. That's the trouble with Mike, he doesn't realize a bloke wandering around in shorts and flip flops without a degree in science, astronomy and metreology doesn't cut it as an angler. He's still under the illusion all you have to do is bung a bait in and catch fish; give him a few more years...

Last edited:

Reaction score
Alan , i regard cold as when the lake is frozen and I'm convinced my reel has been immersed in a bucket of sand for a couple of years. That reminds me to make sure the glycerine is in the car.

Im still in shorts and flip flops.

Sounds like you need to grow long scraggly hair and become a hippie,don't forget the DrMartens with the laces undone!!!

mikench

Reaction score
When it's 29c I know I am cool in my attire. One cannot help having a certain je ne sais quoi.:rolleyes:

I accept I have a lot to learn from a fishing perspective.