Waterproofs

hooferinsane

Reaction score
Expect this has gone before, but can anyone recommend a (lightweight) waterproof jacket for fishing ? A reasonable price too wouldn’t go amiss :).
TIA

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
As with any thing in fishng good waterproofs are worth evety penny you pay for them.

Some years ago I invested in the Drennan DriFish ¾ lenght jacket and am still using it today . . . . so over time it has been very gpood value.

Reaction score
I was thinking about getting a Halkon Hunt goretex 3/4 length jacket made for me,I got hold of a cheap goretex online many years ago and it has been brilliant but has seen better days sadly,as Peter says you do get what you pay for,especially in waterproof clothing....

Bluenose

Reaction score
If you are ok with camo, go for a recon British Army goretex. One in A1 condition will be about £40 notes. Throw a cheap padded thing underneath when it's cold and it's as good as anything else out there.

John Aston

Reaction score
I use a Guideline long wading jacket for fly and river lure fishing . Bob Mortimer was wearing his on Sunday. Beautifully made and totally 100% water and windproof in any conditions. It cost about £350 and I'd buy another tomorrow , by far the most fit for purpose clothing I've ever used.

When I need waterproof but not warmth , in a slightly longer jacket , when wading won't happen , I have a superb RAB Goretex climbing type jacket . It's rather startling green, but a great jacket

Mid winter, and for cold , damp days I use a couple of of different weight Musto long jackets . I've been a fan for 25 years and my first Highlander eventually fell in bits after 20 years of abuse . Which is about 15 years longer than the overpriced , heavy and generally rubbish Barbour oiled cotton Northumbrias I had before.

There's always someone who will praise old school Barbour to the heights, boasting of years of use - well, all I'd say is they never survived my sort of (ab)use!

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
There's always someone who will praise old school Barbour to the heights, boasting of years of use - well, all I'd say is they never survived my sort of (ab)use!
I think the Barbour fans are probably living in the past. Like a lot of long-established brands, the quality has gone downhill fast since it became as much a fashion and lifestyle label rather than making stuff that never wears out - no profit in that! I rate the Hoggs of Fife waterproofs: https://www.fifecountry.co.uk/mens/waterproofs/greenking-ii-waterproof-jacket-A036

steve2

Reaction score
The problems I always found with wax cotton Barbour jackets they were heavy and stiffen up in cold weather and were not that warm. My Solway Zipper if I had not thrown it away could get big money on ebay.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I have had a Barbour jacket for the past 7 years. It is the brown coloured one , and has a dry wax type feel to it.And a thin tartan lining
The last one I had was the green proper wax jacket, the lining seemed to be a lot thicker ,different material and was warmer.
I have worn the present one about 5 times, the last time was about 6 years ago.

rob48

Reaction score
I've tried most brands over the years and the usual well-known outdoor clothing labels (Berghaus, Sprayway etc) seem to perform just as well, if not better, and offer improved value for money than virtually identical products with HH or Daiwa stamped all over them.
The last waterproof fishing jacket I bought was from Vass Tex: https://www.vassrainwear.co.uk/waders/clothing/fishing-waterproofs.html
I have the lightweight smock which has been faultless. It can be worn in the summer over a shirt or over layers in colder weather. It's breathable, fully waterproof, and being a smock there are no zips to foul anything or leak water in. It wasn't expensive either, about £60 I think, a couple of years ago.
I've since bought their Synthetic Down casual jacket which is excellent and will likely be purchasing more of their productsin the future.

mikench

Reaction score
I have the Korum jacket and salopettes which are fine for 10 months of the year. I also bought the Crane waterproof jacket and fleece lined trousers from Aldi. They are warm , comfortable and cheap ridiculously so in their sale. Worth paying full price for imo.

Bluenose

Reaction score
I have the Korum jacket and salopettes which are fine for 10 months of the year. I also bought the Crane waterproof jacket and fleece lined trousers from Aldi. They are warm , comfortable and cheap ridiculously so in their sale. Worth paying full price for imo.
Agree with this..

The Aldi stuff is exceptional value.

rayner

Reaction score
My spring/summer waterproofs are Drennan, a bib and brace with a short pole jacket. The waterproofs for winter are Xmax, they are fleece lined and very warm. I bought them in lockdown so have not had a chance to try them out on the bank but they look just the job. Plus they were far less than dedicated fishing clothing.

Steve King

Reaction score
My winter gear is a rather ancient Sundridge Jacket and bib and braces!

I bought it second hand from a friend who was giving up fishing because of health issues. It keeps me warm and dry.

bracket

Reaction score
I have a Berghaus three quarter length gortex jacket and matching leggings. Had them for eight years now. Totally storm proof and wind proof, absolutely brilliant. Noah could have worn them in The Flood and been bone dry. The jacket cost me £170 and the leggings £40. I can't recommend them too highly. Pete.

flightliner

Reaction score
I have the British army goretex 3/4 jacket and leggings.
A polo top, woolly jumper and a couple of fleeces beneath it in winter and I can stand all day in pouring rain without it penatrating thro the goretex material and be warm at the same time.

seth49

Reaction score
I have a set of the Korum salopettes and jacket which I bought over twenty years ago, just use them in bad winter weather, very warm and dry, best fishing clothing I’ve had.

For warmer weather I’ve some of the Aldi fishing salopettes and a few different jackets, a greys jacket I have is very good, and being a wading jacket it goes well over the pants as it is short and doesn’t get in the way.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I had a nice pair of 25k esp salopettes and a jacket from one of my sons for Christmas. My wife had TIA shortly after and that and not having any nearby waters means they haven’t been used yet. I will make amends this year all being well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk