Week off = Arctic blast!

Aknib

Reaction score
Bloody typical...

Week off work and the weather is going to plummet to sub-zero temperatures from mid-week.

I am undeterred however and will be on the river tomorrow armed with a couple of pints of maggots and the light trotting gear, i'll be happy with anything that comes along although I will have a big Perch in the back of my mind. It's hardly a targeted approach but the swim I intend to fish has produced for me in the past with a few 2's and two 3's and they just seem to go for the constant maggot trickle.

Is anyone else out after it turns very cold and if so what are you targeting?

Keith M

Reaction score
I might have an afternoon huddled downwind of the trees at my local estate lake with a Pike rod or two out for a change as long as it’s not too iced over. Otherwise if it does ice over completely at least a quick scan of the ice may indicate where the underwater springs are so all may not be totally lost. Either way at least it will get me out for a couple of hours :)

Keith

@Clive

Reaction score
I usually go fishing on Fridays these days. However, this Friday was grim! So I rearranged for Monday, tomorrow as by then the cold north easterly would have changed to a slightly warmer south westerly and 10C instead of 6C.

I should have known better! The damned weather forecasters can't get yesterday's weather right let alone 3 days hence. At the moment tomorrow is set to be anything from 6C to 10C with a cold easterly breeze gusting to 40kph. Apparently it is also going to be dry all day, zero chance of rain. So I'm taking my brolly.

Philip

Reaction score
I had been preparing a couple of swims on a river hoping for a Roach and baiting them up so the sharp drop in temp has come at a bad moment & really messed things up. Its annoying as one of the swims took a load of effort to cut back vegetation and dead branches to open up a space for me to fish from. As I have put in so much effort I have to give them a go but I am not hoping for too much. The good news is that the levels are still ok & you never know. That aside it looks on for a Zander at the moment and there is a little river I want to try for some Chub.

The only certain thing is that whatever I choose I will doubtless sit there fidgiting thinking I should be fishing for something else !

mikench

Reaction score
I doubt I will venture out although I am prepared. I’ll see how I feel in the morning and how the outside feels. A blank is bad enough without freezing one’s nuts off in the process.

peterjg

Reaction score
I fished three times as per usual this week. However; in view of the weather forecast after tomorrow's trip to a lake with my son after roach I shall probably catch up on jobs that so far I have managed to put off.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I fancy a bit of chubbing into dark during the week, probably have a midday start and fish until about 8pm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ian g

Reaction score
Been out today on the Dee after grayling , managed 10 so was very pleased . I have Friday and the following Monday off , I may try the trickling maggots for perch on the Severn on Friday . A mate has banged the drum for that method which I haven't really tried , normally a worm man

Last edited:

terry m

Reaction score
For me, cold is preferable to incessant rain, so still out about 4 times a week. Sometimes a whole day, sometimes a few hours. 90% of my winter fishing is for pike

wetthrough

Reaction score
Too cold for me. I was fishing after an overnight frost some time ago. My brain was telling ,e to release the line on the cast but the fingers weren't getting the message, not pretty. Decided then that if it's so cold my fingers don't work it can't be doing my hands/fingers any good. It's only in the last few years though. I've fished in icy conditions in years gone by.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
10 degrees is usually my cut off point but the urge wins out now and then and if it its not windy and a bit of sun around I go for the fresh air and a bit of exercise as much as anything else but then it is for 2 or 3 hours usually.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Last year I bought a rechargeable hand warmer from Amazon. I think it was about £15. I used it a few times lure fishing during the winter and it was great, lasted all day.

I’ve just ordered another one for the other hand, lol. They do a few but some have a higher capacity battery, so make sure you choose that type if you go for one.

They also double as a power bank for your phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aknib

Reaction score
Hats off to lad I saw on a local water this morning whilst walking the girlfriend's dog the lazy radiator hugging bint (the girlfriend not the dog!)

He'd smashed the ice to fish the pole and had enough top kits rigged to start his own outlet so I assume he knew what he was doing, we had a good chat and I wished him well before his all in.

Made my eight biteless hours on the riverbank yesterday from dawn 'til dusk, in starting temperatures of -3, look not so bad although i'm still trying to figure out how, he may well have bagged up.

My toes still haven't regained circulation.

@Clive

Reaction score
Might be getting warmer here from Tuesday. I usually finish my calls around 2:30 and it is only 10 minutes from a good place on the Vienne. I feel an afternoon perch fishing coming on.

rayner

Reaction score
My heart says yes, my head says no, the wife says you are not going so that's it I'm not going! It's a bastard getting old and infirmed!
I agree, I have had my time suffering from the elements. I am totally reliant on my wife to get out if she feels in any way that I should not enter out it's rough but I did agree so if she thinks it's not a nice enough day I have zero chances. I must admit I a getting used to the warm.

Last edited:

John Aston

Reaction score
I managed a day grayling trotting yesterday . Rock hard ground , and I needed glycerin to unfreeze the rod rings after 2-45. Landing net pole had frozen solid in extended position when I packed up at 3-55. Thankfully I had some coffee left in the flask to unfreeze it, avoiding a more ...err... organic ? solution .

I caught 10 grayling to over a pound , bumped a few more, and saw buzzard , heron , kingfisher, snipe and hare but I didn't see a footprint or another human soul. And it was fab.

I enjoyed my heated seat and steering wheel on the way home though. Christ but it was cold .

ian g

Reaction score
I went out last Friday after my covid booster , Tried maggots for perch , managed a couple of chub and a few dace , think the jab screwed me as I was shivering when I got back to the car.
Out today more layers but fewer fish , just the one chub . Much warmer myself but the weather was colder. Like Grayson no other anglers