Weighing in my landing net?

Philip

Reaction score
Me too ...i cant think of anything more fish friendly than a plastic bag for weighing fish. I use them all the time for the smaller species. They take no space and can be disposed of at the end so no stinking out the car either.

steve2

Reaction score
Me too ...i cant think of anything more fish friendly than a plastic bag for weighing fish. I use them all the time for the smaller species. They take no space and can be disposed of at the end so no stinking out the car either.

Why not wash them out and reuse them instead of putting them in the bin?

theartist

Reaction score
I find the carrier bag removes less slime than a proper weigh sling. Plus you don’t have to wash it afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used a weigh sling once, couldn't believe the amount of slime it had on it after, I guess you'd have to really wet it first so find using the net is easier. I take a plastic bag for the mini species but keep using them for picking up ****heads litter each time instead. Will stick to a wet net for bigger fish but glad to hear they are not too bad, always seems weird when you see a fish put in a plastic bag, especially nowadays

Keith M

Reaction score
I do occasionally use a weigh sling for Carp and Pike, but If I have a big feisty Carp or Pike thrashing about in a landing net Its usually a lot easier for me; and a lot kinder to the fish; to just remove the net handle and weigh the Carp or Pike in the landing net, taking off the weight of the net afterwards.

I do tend to use weigh slings for Barbel, Chub, Tench and other mid sized species; but if I want to weigh a large Roach, Rudd or Dace then I use a smallish plastic bag with a few small holes punched into it.

Keith

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
Why not wash them out and reuse them instead of putting them in the bin?

Because its easier and more convenient to just chuck away the slime filled one, usually filled with any rubbish I find, than take home a stinking plastic bag dripping all over the car then have to wash it out and dry it.

Keith M

Reaction score
Because its easier and more convenient to just chuck away the slime filled one, usually filled with any rubbish I find, than take home a stinking plastic bag dripping all over the car then have to wash it out and dry it.

I think I would do the same if mine was full of slime and stank, especially if I had weighed a bream in it (Yuck); usually a quick swill in water (after turning it inside out) gets mine clean enough to store in with my weigh sling ready for the next time it’s needed.

Keith

Last edited:

tink

Reaction score
In the net is the best and safest way to weigh fish that aren't huge or tiny

I always weigh the net after releasing the fish too - The weight is often slightly out depending on how wet the net is. It does vary.

i.e. One that's been soaked deep in water waiting for a fish will weigh more than a quickly dipped net. Often in fast water the net doesn't get fully submerged. I had a 1lb 15oz roach bare testament to this in the summer. My net nearly always goes 14oz wet but on this occasion was almost a pound. The fish would have been 2lb 1oz had I gone down the pre weighed net route

Do you release the fish in the net? I use my net to weigh fish but release them in it also, so after I've submerged the net for however long it takes the fish to recover, then weigh the empty net, it may be heavier than it was if it was a 'quick dip' when landing the fish?

Another Dave

Reaction score
Tink, I would think a 'quick dip' works out much the same when it comes to how wet the mesh gets.

theartist

Reaction score
Do you release the fish in the net? I use my net to weigh fish but release them in it also, so after I've submerged the net for however long it takes the fish to recover, then weigh the empty net, it may be heavier than it was if it was a 'quick dip' when landing the fish?

Yes I do, That's a good point that the net is likely to get heavier when releasing a fish on the whole, to be honest I'd rather lose an ounce or two, knowing the only thing the fish has touched is my wet net when weighing