Weir pools

jasonbean1

Reaction score
I've fished for barbel for many years but never in a weir pool. I'm lucky that I have one local to me on the Thames that may have a few possibly big barbel and carp living in it during the summer months.

I went for a walk down there last night and couldn't decide where I would target. The pool is quite deep, wide and long with fishing from one bank only. It will be a boilie and halibut pellet attack with beefy gear for chuck to the far side where the sluice gates are along a wall until it finally runs out on a wide shallow.

Last night though I could not decide where to concentrate. I'll pre bait with a spomb for a few days and unsure whether to stay close to the sill or fish the tail end. Flow is minimal and it is quite deep till it tails out. Bream may be a problem but hopefully they will be in the main river.

Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Very difficult Jason,i've a large weir on one of the stretches of the Ouse I fish,the large pool is the most prolific area on the length,the pool is around 100yds long,60-70yds wide,within 30yds of the sill it is very deep(up to a minimum of 30ft,with massive boulders so a no-no to fish,most barbel come out where the white suds tail off,which varies as and when computer controlled gates open and close,people I know that fish for barbel in Thames weirs tend to concentrate directly under the sill,with just the right amount of lead,so as the undertow draws the bait tight beneath said sill,I would suggest a spomb is not an option,a heavy bait dropper,or even just a decent sized pva bag,too much bait will swill around anyway in the eddying current,you will get away with pretty regular casting also,unless it is shallow below the sill.Best wishes for your efforts.

barbelboi

Reaction score
No two weirpools are the same and any given weirpool is constantly changing anyway. The only way to read a weirpool is by fishing it and your lead may well behave differently from session to session.. As barbel are adapted to strong currents they tend to lie below the apron nipping out into the ‘fast’ water from time to time to feed. Don’t forget that the water at the bottom is much more gentle than what you see at the surface, the centre flow is also productive as are the sides for many species. Also if you've found the snags the barbel will be there...................

jasonbean1

Reaction score
I have fished it before for roach, bream and chub but never attacked it with big baits in the more difficult to reach areas.

Its is mainly a big gravel hole with the far bank being the feature as its has overhanging trees along a wall and is out of bounds to the public, never really chucked tight over in the deeper areas to see how snaggy it is.

I'm in no rush so a chuck round with a lead will be the first point of call before I decide to put bait in.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Jason, you already mentioned it but watch out for the bream. I spent many an hour fishing various spots on the weirpool at Abingdon on the thames and the snotties always got there first! With the exception of a few chub. Never did catch a barbel there, though the EA managed to electo-fish a colossal fish a year or two ago so they're obviously there.

Good luck!