Weird Hardy Conquest 'Pin

Aknib

Reaction score
This is weird.

The reel pouch is of a colour I've never seen supplied with this reel, it has a black back plate and silver spool, the spool itself is of a design I've never seen before and it has two instead of three handles and that's just at a glance.

I think it looks horrible!

What's going on though, it's advertised as the 'new type' although I'm not aware of one, does anyone know if Hardy have brought out a new Conquest and if so how have they managed to make such a horrible looking thing?

hardy conquest centerpin reel new type | eBay

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
That doesn't look right at all, Steve. The pouch has the dated castle & fly logo and the reel looks dated too. Rather than a "new" conquest it looks like an old model to me....the reel has a look of the fly reels of some years ago to me...but I'm no Hardy expert.

Might it be something produced for somewhere else ie non UK market. That might explain why it looks so odd. Its really not a very attractive looking reel at all imo

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'd guess at it being a pre-production prototype/factory sample that's made it out into the wild. There are plenty of little details that made it in the production models. I'd love to know what was under the cosmetic mark under "Hardy" and above the centre logo on the back of the reel. My suspicion is that it may have been text, something along the lines of Made In Alnwick and Sample.

mikench

Reaction score
Odd, a veritable Heinz 57. All I can say for sure is that I won't be making a bid. It looks counterfeit to me.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
At a glimpse it looked like the cheap eastern european pressed metal reels, but on closer inspection of the pictures the reel does look like it's been machined.
It does look like an early/protortype conquest reel to me, although I may be wrong.

If I was a collector of Hardy conquests I would be inclined to take a gamble on it for my collection unless bidding goes daft.

Tomas turner who advertise vintage tackle on here deal with a lot of Hardy tackle, maybe they could help with some info?

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've asked the question of someone that should know. No guarantee that he'll get back to me though.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've asked the question of someone that should know. No guarantee that he'll get back to me though.

The former Hardy Greys chap I asked couldn't remember this reel at all. Someone has either got a real Hardy rarity or a worthless knock off.

nottskev

Reaction score
I can see why there are doubts about its genuineness. But I didn't think it looked so bad. Tbh I thought it looked a bit better than the all-silver models, which look more bright and blingy than I prefer. I was tempted to put a bid in until it ran over £100.

Aknib

Reaction score
It's back up for sale and the buyer must fancy their chances of a profit being as the new price is over a hundred quid more than what they paid for it, assuming it's the same one.

Not sure about the description 'Salmon Fishing Reel' but best of luck to 'em, it still looks like a wrong 'un to me...

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That's wierd, as the other reel (or one exactly like it) was on faceache and sold for about 175 ripps.

bencarvosso

Reaction score
Defo same one they was on eBay.
Same marks on the neoprene pouch
Odd indeed

bencarvosso

Reaction score
Seems to have been cleaned up a bit. Indentation fixed up somewhat