what can i say

C

Carp Angler

A-8 liquid is available in 2 forms.
The activator that is best used by adding to pastes or boilie mix and the other is used for dipping corn, boilies, meat, overspraying pellet, etc etc.

Best to look at Mainlines site for advice.
here

Tex Aitken

Reaction score
what a bummer i got my active 8 paiste and pellet all ready arrived at the venue and for the winter league pellet and paiste banned back to the drawing board, what is a good ground baite to use? i like to use dynamite swim stim but i think i could do better if i threw stones in

C

Carp Angler

The green swim stim koi pellets from Dynamite are a definite winner in my book.
They are very light, so I tend to moisten them with wet hemp and this is a pretty deadly, if expensive, combo for me.

If I use any groundbait in winter, then it tends to be VDE Secret, mixed with Grilled hemp and a very small amount of brown crumb.
I keep it light and fluffy and only feed very small amounts.
In winter, don't forget to add a teaspoon of salt to all your baits.

C

Carp Angler

That's fine coming from someone who models themselves on Limahl.

You're too shy shy, hush hush eye to eye.....

slag...

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Just had it done again.....

waaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

slaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag.

Sorry, on with the thread, twas Riks fault :eek:)

B

Budgie Burgess

I think Rons comment on the best anglers being the best at feeding is spot on.I have always based my groundbaiting and feeding on what I learnt match fishing.It works a lot better than the hap hazard chuck a bit in at the start aproach of most specimen hunters.
I have often wondered if it is a skill you can learn or something that comes natural to some? I say this as I have sat behind many a class match angler and watched them fish.I have been able to learn to match the technical skills ie trotting a float to perfection but have never been able to emulate their consistant results.This is undoubtedly the feeding.Is there a formula or is it instinct?

Tex Aitken

Reaction score
thanks carp angler but what dose the salt do?
budgie i think a lot is down to knowing instinctly what to do something that comes with hours and hours of practice the top anglers fish nearly every day practicing different methods and trying new baits I only wish I could afford to no harm in dreaming is there

C

Carp Angler

Tex,
salt is a definite attractor, but not too much.
Don't know why, but it works.
Most commercially available groundbait has some salt added.
Soy sauce, brilliant attractor, very salty.

Sweet when it's warm (sugar or honey), salt when it's cold.

Works for me.

J

jason fisher

if your trotting a stick to confidently feeding fish, i tend to judge the feed by how far up the swim the fish are.
if i'm putting lots in and they're drifting off down flow, then i'm feeding them too much and they're being drawn away down stream by the missed food.
if they start to come towards the rod tip then they're probably mopping up all the feed too quickly and coming up stream to find the source so i put more in.
the trick is to gauge your catch rate and each time you vary the feed rate compare the results.
it's not just when you feed and how often though, its also where the bait goes in relation to the free offerings.
for instance i quite often pick up a bonus fish by running the bait through at the front or the back of the feed, so it's the first or last maggot to get to the fish.
the last thing i'd say is if your fishing for chub, the perfectly presented bait running through directly in the flow is sometimes rejected while one moving very slightly across the flow while held back hard will some times turn into a lump.

J

jason fisher

that last post was for budgie, bet he knew it all anyway but i might have surprised myself and posted some thing he didn't know more about than me.

B

Budgie Burgess

Thanks Jason,I like the theory about the fish moving up and down the swim being an indication of your feeding.Will definately try it.No one knows every thing,especially me! fishing would be very boring if we did!

J

jason fisher

i agree with that budgie, but so far everything that i've posted that you have known something about, you've been a better source of information than me,
i'm chuffed now i've helped you out.
I can't claim credit for that thory though it has to go to dennis white and probably either one of the ashursts or ivan marks before that.