what do i need?

A

Andy Rooke

hi
as i am a trout farmer we have nice brown trout on site and i thought i would like to catch one. as i am a bivvy boy i aint got a clue about fly fish and i would like some information as what tackle i will need to fly fish what rod as i have seen lots of diffrent ones and i am very confusied so if you can help me i would be gratly appreiciated thanx
andy

M

Mark Frame

rod about 9'6 7-8 weight
reel with floating line/sinking line.
nylon 4-6lb bs
couple of nymphs
couple buzzers
and a net should get by with that
or if theyll let you ave a go on the float and maggit.
as its a farm if you ask someone might let u have a go with theirs if you ask right(just show interest)

M

Mark Frame

you could always give me the address and i'll come and show you (poncing a ticket here)

A

Andy Rooke

i am based in hampshire and our farm is called anna valley trout farm
andover
andy

M

Mark Humphries

Any tips on casting cant seem to get it right, just took fly fishing up a couple of months ago, i also won the fly rod from the shimano survey,im sure it will be a lot better with this new rod, the one i've got just now is a shakespear condender.

M

Mark Frame

the best advise i can give is get your self a qualified instructor you can teach yourself but you will pick up to many bad habits

but if you wanna have a go!

pull of about 10 yards of line and let it lay on the floor

2.hold line near reel and lift rod sharplyto 12oclockand stop flick wrist back slightlytill about 2oclock.

3.if you stand slightly to one side look over shoulder and watch line staighten out behind you when line has straightened out bring rod sharply forward and stop at about 10oclock
repeat letting line go through your hands on the forward stroke.

4.most importantly take it slow and try it in a field first tie on a leader about 15 foot long and tie on some cotton wool rather than a hook

see it is not as easy as it looks on telly so really get a tutor but good luck it will come in time