What ever happened to fun?

Stephan

Reaction score
When I started fishing it was in ponds ,then at about 11 a local club-growing up learning and joining in-and the thrill of winning the odd match with `grown ups`Then up to Yorkshire,chasing chub,barbel,grayling-all on a couple of books

The years passed and even when we moved here I did a bit-waters were still on club books.

Now-as we drive around thinking where I might drop my rod and just enjoy a few hours with or without my wife it`s all syndicates and carp carp and catfish at fees only banker`s can afford.

A bit OTT I agree but things sure have changed

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Stephan

You can be sure there are a few like minded souls on here that still go fishing (or have reverted back to) just for the fun of it. To my mind,a few snatched hours here and there are infinitely more pleasurable than parking up in one spot for several days.

Less is more is probably never more apt....!

Alan Roe

Reaction score
I know not where you live now Stephan but up here in the North we can still have a wonderful time fishing for all manner of species on club books that have huge amounts of waters to play on and often at very reasonable cost

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

That's absolutely true Stephan. The north is the place to be for low cost mixed river and still water fishing at a bargain price.

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
Ahem!!! We have our fair share of wonderful rivers and still waters on club tickets darn sarf too! /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Nik Foad

Reaction score
Darn Sarf is still full of opportunities for good value fishing.

Living in Windsor I am a club member with wonderful access to the River Thames and over 7 lakes - ranging from old country ponds to good sized carp lakes.

I was also a golfer.

Let's do a comparison on cost:

Golf was £1500 sign on and £1200 per year to play.

Fishing is currently £170 a year and one weekend of my labour.

When I told the wife I was going to spend more time on fishing and give up golf competitively she gave me her blessing in a flash!

Fishing is my passion and who can't afford £170 a year for access to good fishing!??

davebike

Reaction score
I in South London and shore fishing is dearer in the south east but still good value for money I belong to a club with a nice lake not huge but 30 swims bit too dominated by carp but you can stil have a great few houres ccatching roach and the odd gudgen all for £45 a yearand a days work

I am also am a member of a "commercial fishery" £190 a year for 4 lakes all different in carector secour, toilets and staff to keep it tidy not so cheap but in it owne waay still value for money

My brother plays golf thousands of pounds a year plus green fees He says my fishing is cheap and I agree !

If I wasn't so good at losing braking tackle and like to have a chise of where to go I could fish once or twice a week on £500 a year all in! I dearn't add up what I actually spend but it way the best cure for abusy stressfull week at work

I just wish all anglers would respect each others methods and targets, protect our wonderfull sport form the anti's and get on and enjoy themselves! course carp match trout sea or salmon we all anglers!

C

Colin North, the one and only

There's loads of free coarse fishing down here in the South, including some remarkable fishing on the Thames.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
There is a definite difference to what people call fun when it comes to fishing.

Fun to a match angler would be catching over 100lb + of fish in 5 hours.

For a carp angler it's being on the bank waiting for that one run (not generalising carp anglers) that could be there new PB.

I live in Staffordshire, average day ticket prices are around £7 per day at some very good commercial fisheries, my Local club water is £28 a year but the fish are not as abundant as on commercial fisheries.

For me the fun is just fishing at a clean, comfortable water that's well run and well maintained. And catching a fish is a bonus.

If i was a serious angler and not a Pleasure angler i'm sure i would spend as much time dedicating myself to that end of the fishing scale and i would probably still have fun doing it.

Tight Lines /forum/smilies/devil_smiley.gif

peter waller 2

Reaction score
And over here in Broadland we have miles and miles of free fishing, some near some quite good pubs too! Angling is all things to all men, and even a few women. Yes, some do take it too seriously for my taste, but that is their fun. Mind you, they never seem to smile!

Donald Bain

Reaction score
Stephan, I live in the metropolis that is Sheffield, a beautiful and GREEN city, (more Urban Green Space of any UK city except London), not only that, it has miles of free fishing on fantastic rivers full of chub, dace, barbel, grayling and roach, not to mention some brilliant commercial fisheries, I pay £65 for 13 ponds!

I love fishing with the old centrepins and cane or glass rods, bit more fun than the pole!

Get up here and I'll show you a good old fashioned Yorkshire day's fishing!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
There is free or at least very cheap fishing to be had anywhere in the country and Wales come to that. The BAA in the midlands where I grew up has one of the cheapest yearly tickets, still a mere £30but for that you get more river fishing than you can shake a stick at, mile upon mile of canal fishing and some pools thrown in for good measure. BAA has some of the prime fishing on the Severn the Teme and the Warks. Avon and you can even buy a day ticket for them if you don't wish to buy a yearly book unlike a lot of club waters, and no waiting list either.

Free fishing is available in the midlands as well just as it is everywhere else in the country but if you wish to target specimen sized fish such as carp then you must pay the going rate and why not, it is your choice after all. The average price for a day ticket in the midlands is a fiver and surely in this day and age that isn't going to break the bank is it?

L

Laurie Harper

Have to agree with Graham. The BAA book must be the biggest angling bargain in the country. Living in London and being just a bit too far away to make it worth getting one, I envy those who can.

P

Phillips Jerry

At the moment sea fishing is free/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif