What is in your flask?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
With autumn definitely upon us and winter just around the corner there has never been a better time to think about having a decent hot drink in the flask when fishing.

Other than tea or coffee there are a lot of other warming drinks to consider for a day on the bank.

Hot chocolate . . . I make it in advance at home and put it in a pre-heated flask.
Pre-heating with scalding hot water poured into the flask and drained before immediately filling with your chosen tipple.

Ginger tea . . . to make it use a cup of water to about an inch of cleaned peeled and sliced ginger. Bring the mixture to a boil and simmer for 5 or 6 minutes.
Strain (sieve) the liquid into the flask and add a few teaspoons of honey (or maple syrup) to balance the flavour and if you like a few slices of orange or lemon into the flask as well.

Mulled cider . . . not necessarily a strong alcohol content but a medium cider heated in a pan with mulling spices (cinnamon, cloves, ginger and citrus zest) sieve into a pre-heated flask and enjoy . . . . obviously best if you do not have to drive.

Hot soup is always a favourite and something I take in a wide mouth flask.

Soup is very easy to make at home and in my view far more tasty than the tinned stuff.

Chicken noodle soup is simple to make as is chicken and leek or chicken vegetable all need a wide mouth flask though. You can spice up the chicken noodle soup with some Thai flavours as well.
Carrot and coriander is also very simple to make and it also freezes well so make a large batch and use as needed.

At this time of the year I do rather like the mulled cider and often couple that with a round or two of strong cheedar and thinly sliced apple sandwiches.

The ginger tea goes very well with ham and pickle sarnies and a large piece of Tea cake.

A really good flask is essential at this time of the year and after a lot of looking around I finally settled on the Aladdin Stanley range of flasks (the green enamel finished ones) and they have lasted me for years.

s-l1600.jpg

So, what goes into your flask for a day fishing?

steve2

Reaction score
My flask normally is filled with just hot water and I add instant tea or coffee on the bank. I find Nescafé or kenco suitable to my taste.
For soup I would choose tinned vegetable soup.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Unless travelling a long way from home and doing a dawn till dusk days fishing I'm too busy fishing to faff with drinks, plenty time for them back home.

If on a dawn till dusk session then maybe a flask of coffee or chocolate made with milk. Did exactly that a few weeks ago on a grayling experdition but my flask (the same one in ypur post ) failed and I was forced to wash my butties down with cold coffee!
On those kind'a sessions I sometimes take a smal stove and make a fresh brew and maybe warm a tin of soup. I find a fresh drink way more satisfying than a pre made drink in a flask.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
With autumn definitely upon us and winter just around the corner there has never been a better time to think about having a decent hot drink in the flask when fishing.

Other than tea or coffee there are a lot of other warming drinks to consider for a day on the bank.

Hot chocolate . . . I make it in advance at home and put it in a pre-heated flask.
Pre-heating with scalding hot water poured into the flask and drained before immediately filling with your chosen tipple.

Ginger tea . . . to make it use a cup of water to about an inch of cleaned peeled and sliced ginger. Bring the mixture to a boil and simmer for 5 or 6 minutes.
Strain (sieve) the liquid into the flask and add a few teaspoons of honey (or maple syrup) to balance the flavour and if you like a few slices of orange or lemon into the flask as well.

Mulled cider . . . not necessarily a strong alcohol content but a medium cider heated in a pan with mulling spices (cinnamon, cloves, ginger and citrus zest) sieve into a pre-heated flask and enjoy . . . . obviously best if you do not have to drive.

Hot soup is always a favourite and something I take in a wide mouth flask.

Soup is very easy to make at home and in my view far more tasty than the tinned stuff.

Chicken noodle soup is simple to make as is chicken and leek or chicken vegetable all need a wide mouth flask though. You can spice up the chicken noodle soup with some Thai flavours as well.
Carrot and coriander is also very simple to make and it also freezes well so make a large batch and use as needed.

At this time of the year I do rather like the mulled cider and often couple that with a round or two of strong cheedar and thinly sliced apple sandwiches.

The ginger tea goes very well with ham and pickle sarnies and a large piece of Tea cake.

A really good flask is essential at this time of the year and after a lot of looking around I finally settled on the Aladdin Stanley range of flasks (the green enamel finished ones) and they have lasted me for years.

View attachment 11562

So, what goes into your flask for a day fishing?
Same flask as me, dont drop the cup in the water, it sinks,
Mine is filled to the top with coffee, and take a full insulated mug of coffee with me,
As for food its bread rolls with cheese, some chocolate, and mini cheddar.complete the picnic

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
For a number of years I used to take my Kelly kettle and brew up fresh but sadly many venues now have a no naked flame rule (that includes for stoves) After that I spent a long time checking up on as many flasks as I could find on the market and settled on the Stanley Aladdin. They are not the cheapest but I reckon they are the best.

I've used mine now for over 9 years without ever a problem and I have a large and small regular flask, a wide mouth flask and a milk flask (read hip flask) from the same manufacturer

To my mind the food and drinks I take to the bank are an integral part of the day's enjoyment so I think it is worth the time spent preparing them.

Keith M

Reaction score
In the warmer months I usually just take a cool drink (orange juice or a flavoured milk) and in the colder months I usually prefer to take a flask of hot chocolate or a flask of Horlicks.

For food in summer or winter it’s either a crusty roll containing ham & tomato or cheese & tomato both with onion caramelised chutney or a chicken tikka wrap or a Cornish pasty, plus a sweet pastry of some kind.

If I am fishing through the night then I’ll take a small cooker and make regular fresh mugs of tea and cappuccino and a tin of chunky beef & veg soup with a crusty roll to keep me going through the night; plus a full English breakfast with a crusty bread roll for breakfast in the morning.

Keith

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I always take something for "teatime" as well as for lunch.

Typically it is my own teacake which is sliced and buttered. One of my old fishing buddies, Nigel Connor. used to bring the best ever teacake (made by his wife I think ) but when he stopped fishing I learned how to make it myself . . . .

I always enjoy that last cuppa in the car park with a slice of teacake before setting off to battle the traffic on the way home.

Steve King

Reaction score
I normally take coffee plus sparkling water. As much as I like tea, I find it tastes stewed by the time you get near the end of the day. Occasionally I brew up fresh tea on a stove in the car park!

I’ve tried hot chocolate in a flask a few times, but again the taste wasn’t great! I dislike most tinned soup, but sometimes take homemade leek and potato soup or lentil soup.

The Sogster

Reaction score
I only take tea in my flask, not a fan of coffee.
In winter I do like a good spicy chai with ginger, cardamom and black peppercorns.

Like others I have invested in a quality flask many years ago and settled on the Thermos King. It will keep the drink hot for 24 hours.

seth49

Reaction score
I take three of the sachets of coffee and some sugar with a flask of boiling water to make fresh brews in an insulated cup.
If it’s really cold a packet of this soup in a wide mouthed flask,it cooks itself in the flask in about an hour.
B336E4AA-2FB9-46A9-91C8-C363FE49D184.jpeg
B285DF5A-7B41-4120-ABE6-8A451995FAA1.jpeg

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
As much as I like tea, I find it tastes stewed by the time you get near the end of the day.

I read somewhere a few years ago that the secret to drinkable tea from a flask was to make it a lot weaker than you'd normally have it and never add milk (unless carried in a separate container for adding later). I usually have Darjeeling (which always looks weak if you add milk anyway), but recently I've been taking cafetiere coffee with a splash of milk. For some reason, a drop of milk in coffee doesn't seem to ruin it in the flask as it always does with tea.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
For tea or coffee I use a separate little flask for the milk, for two reasons: firstly it keeps the drink hotter for longer and secondly I find with the milk mixed in then you can get that "stewed" taste sometimes.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Regarding the best make of flasks, I think no matter which make you get it's down to the actual batch or individual flask you get from any brand.
I've had my fair share of flasks over the years myself and I think the one which kept my drinks the warmest and which lasted the longest were thermos and a couple of none branded versions.
For keeping the ncontense hot, I don't think the old flasks with the glass bottle inside have been bettered, obviously their downside was the fragility of them if you dropped them.

rayner

Reaction score
Just water mostly, when it starts to turn chilly black coffee and a flask of soup. I'm a creature of habit so never change what I take.
No food but I never take food right through the year.

Reaction score
Regarding the best make of flasks, I think no matter which make you get it's down to the actual batch or individual flask you get from any brand.
I've had my fair share of flasks over the years myself and I think the one which kept my drinks the warmest and which lasted the longest were thermos and a couple of none branded versions.
For keeping the ncontense hot, I don't think the old flasks with the glass bottle inside have been bettered, obviously their downside was the fragility of them if you dropped them.

I always believed that Ian,until I bought a Thermos King,unbelievably hot,I can make a flask of coffee at 5am,drink cups through the day and still burn my delicate mouth at 7pm,I hate luke warm tea or coffee,my now sadly passed father in law used to call me iron guts,because of the speed I drank hot drinks...

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
One of my mates bought me a couple of Coleman stainless steel flasks twenty five years ago for my birthday and I still use them.

I was instant death to the glass lined ones and rarely got more than a couple of outings from them before the dreaded “Crump” sound as the liner imploded.

I mark the flasks S and W, as I find that if you use one for water after it’s been used for soup it tastes tainted. I take boiled water and make tea or coffee freshly. Green tea with lemon is also refreshing. I sometimes take chilli with new potatoes, which doesn’t solidify into a single mass as it does with rice.

On the short spinning trips I have recently been doing I’ve just been taking a bottle of water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aknib

Reaction score
It's usually weak, sweet tea for me so that it's still drinkable after a few hours and in Winter I will often take an additional flask with some Oxo in it. I've been taking Oxo to work with me all week whilst I've been out doing the felling and it's been a real treat.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
It's usually weak, sweet tea for me so that it's still drinkable after a few hours and in Winter I will often take an additional flask with some Oxo in it. I've been taking Oxo to work with me all week whilst I've been out doing the felling and it's been a real treat.

I forgot to add both Oxo and Bovril to my listing . . . . it certainly is a welcoming warmth after a few hours trotting with cold hands.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I always believed that Ian,until I bought a Thermos King,unbelievably hot,I can make a flask of coffee at 5am,drink cups through the day and still burn my delicate mouth at 7pm,I hate luke warm tea or coffee,my now sadly passed father in law used to call me iron guts,because of the speed I drank hot drinks...

Yeah, I agree Alan, I think the better flasks i've had have been thermos.
My mrs got a small stainless steal flask from primark a couple of months back and that seems really strong and has kept the contence very warm. I think it cost her four quid, so not an expensive one.

Meant to say, i've no idea what brand the flask is.

Last edited: