What is in your flask?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Just hot water for me so I can make tea. I am a total tea addict and simply cannot imagine going fishing without the ability to make a cuppa. I have been taking a stove with me this year so I can make a proper brew and do meself a pot of instant porridge if its been an early start. Unfortunately that means another bag and a water can so just lately I've gone back to a flask simply because I've only been fishing short sessions.

I used to take 2 huge flasks full of coffee fishing but it was never any good and I stopped once I realised how much coffee I was drinking which was way,way too much. I like coffee but very rarely drink it at all now and never more than 1 cup a day.

A proper flask ( steel) is a must though. Cheap ones just don't seem to last. I've recently had to retire a Thermos " The Rock" which I've had for years and was superb....seal wore out. Not cheap but very,very good.

Last edited:

Reaction score
I think my Thermos King cost about 24 sods from Argos,might have been less,simply brilliant value in a stainless in my book....

Philip

Reaction score
I rarely take a flask but if I do then it has hot water and a little milk in it. Then I pour it onto a tea bag when I want it to save it stewing all day in the flask. It also saves you carrying a seperate bottle of milk & keeps the flask cleaner too.

An alternative to tea or Coffee is hot Ribena .

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
It is amazing the difference in price for stainless steel flasks . . . . but then there are 150 different types of "stainless" depending on alloy and other metals. Cheaper ones also seem to have a thinner gauge of steel too.

Phil Adams

Reaction score
Red bull.

I tend to take a 1ltr flask of boiled water and a separate box of tea bags and bottle of milk. I can then just make a brew on the bank. My flask is an old Thermos King.

Keith M

Reaction score
Whatever flask you choose to use; beware of the flasks with the ‘sprung press’ tops on them. I couldn’t believe it when I eventually managed to dismantle one of these tops and saw the unhygienic dirty smelly gunge where the spring was hidden inside.uugghh! :confused::eek:(n)

Keith

Reaction score
Absolutely Keith,black gunge,cleaning is a major issue I have with stainless steel flasks,they all get a brown taintboff of my coffee,no matter how much bicarbonate of soda,steradent tablets etc I use,I was wondering if steralising tablets might do it??? The cap on the Thermos I have just unscrews half a turn to pour,not a perfect pour,but it stays bloody hot....

Philip

Reaction score
flasks,they all get a brown taintboff of my coffe

Thats one of the reasons reason why i only use the flask to carry the hot water and milk. Then pour it onto a tea bag or coffee after. I got myself a large stainless mug with a lid thats perfect for brewing tea in.

Reaction score
It's odd Philip,the flask must be clean i've got a bottle brush and clean it with washing up liquid,plus the bicarb and steredent,soaking in water after flushing out....

Andy Pet

Reaction score
2 flasks of boiling water for me and a separate bottle of milk means I can make fresh coffee by the bank in a real mug. By only using boiling water the flasks remain shiny with minimal cleaning.I've owned many flasks over the years and have settled on a pair of Thermos Ultimates. Not cheap but they do keep the water extremely hot all day

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Absolutely Keith,black gunge,cleaning is a major issue I have with stainless steel flasks,they all get a brown taintboff of my coffee,no matter how much bicarbonate of soda,steradent tablets etc I use,I was wondering if steralising tablets might do it??? The cap on the Thermos I have just unscrews half a turn to pour,not a perfect pour,but it stays bloody hot....
Try pouring some Milton in the flask,
I have a steel lined Thermos, and used it , got most of the taint out,
I remove the cap completely to pour even though it's got a groove along the thread.

mikench

Reaction score
Er indoors bought me an Earthwell Flask. It called a Kewler or something equally stupid. It must be the most expensive and useless flask you can buy. It’s ok for cold drinks, which is all I use it for, but hopeless at keeping drinks hot. It doesn’t even have a cup for a lid and you have to unscrew the lid which lets the heat out. It should have gone back to the shop.

I use a 500ml Thermos which is ok for the first 3 or 4 cups but then the coffee cools off.

Reaction score
Get a thermos king,mine is 1.2ltr,honestly its so bloody hot,ive just had a cup of coffee now out of it,which I made at 5am,it would burn you....

Clodhopper

Reaction score
"So, what goes into your flask for a day fishing?"

I rarely bother.

When I do: caffetiere coffee; 1.5 teaspoons of brown sugar; a shot of Irish whiskey.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

mikench

Reaction score
I put the flask I was bought to the test again last night and this morning the water was lukewarm. Even my normal thermos which I always fill with boiling water the night before keeps the water hot. It shall be consigned to the picnic basket for those halcyon summer days at the seaside, relaxing on the beach, conversing about the weather with complete strangers whilst eating a butty and having a cold drink.Does anybody remember those days and did they really exist?:(

I digress. Amazon for their Black Friday lasting over a week event have the Thermos Ultimate flask reduced by a third so at £24 Er indoors has bought me one for Christmas. Happy days.

Last edited:

chevin4

Reaction score
I have not used a flask for many years now.i dont think you can beat freshly brewed tea I have one of those tiny stoves which you can pick up at places like Go Outdoors. I generally keep the tea making stuff in the car and have an occasional break from the fishing which also gives the swim a rest

Reaction score
I noticed you and Tim sloping off Hugh... :)