What is Traditional Angling?

Keith M

Reaction score
I’ve no intention of buying one but; Has anyone fished with one of these ‘carrot fibre’ rods that are out there? and if so how good or bad did you find them?

Keith

Last edited:

liphook

Reaction score
Shimano sold 'biofibre' rods a good many years ago. They were sold as having a percentage of plant fibre content in them. From memory it was carrot? I've got one - a short quiver 'picker' type rod. Can't say it's exceptional. Another marketing ploy/ tech fad perhaps?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Shimano sold 'biofibre' rods a good many years ago. They were sold as having a percentage of plant fibre content in them. From memory it was carrot? I've got one - a short quiver 'picker' type rod. Can't say it's exceptional. Another marketing ploy/ tech fad perhaps?
Biofibre is still one of Shimano's rod technologies. It even has its own logo. It's something added to carbon fibres in many different ranges of rod over many years. However, the explanation as to what biofibre may actually be is rather vague.

I wonder if the "carrot" rods were something similar, just a fibre extracted from carrot and added to normal carbon. Nowhere near as exciting as suggesting that a rod is actually made from carrots.

sam vimes

Reaction score
For those who think it’s a late April fools day type thing see below

I knew it wasn't a joke, but I still think they are overegging the pudding a little.

The bio cellulose extracted from carrots sounds like it's along similar lines to Shimano's Biofibre. I think Shimano had been using that term before the 2007 quoted as being the carrot fibre rods market debut.

The fishing rod company involved in marketing the carrot rods is Carrotstix.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
At the risk of sounding a philistine , and also not having a clue what notch strength is , I will say that the Wallop Brook I had was a sweet little thing but is totally eclipsed, in every respect apart from aesthetics , by my cheap as chips Shakespeare Agility Rise 6ft #3 . I fish some small and very overgrown wild trout streams and its fast, crisp action is just what I need . Some prefer a very slow action for this fishing- it seems to be received wisdom .But I like to be able to do a very fast cast with the minimum , or no false casting at all ; the Agility is also brilliant at roll casting .
Your post reminded me of something, a rod I forgot about, this 9ft 3/4 fly rod from China. It was only £16 which I got for £6 with a voucher I had to use up. I wouldn't normally buy from China but fair to them it arrived quickly and cant fault the rod, it is 4 pieces so packs up small which is good. I just dug it out, funny how you can forget about rods. This may do for any brook fishing I do and I can auction off the Wallop rod, its only sitting doing nothing.
100_0761.JPG

Philip

Reaction score

As Carbon is naturally occuring I would imagine anyone could probably legitimatly say their rod was "bio" without having too many worries about trade description and so on.

Tbh it seems a bit screwy to me....as you say perhaps its just a fad...not sure what angle they are aiming for exactly ...use a bio rod because you care about not damging the enviroment ? .....then use it to stick a hook in a fish :)

Philip

Reaction score
Indeed. I'm waiting for the first "fish friendly" priest...:)

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Ron Clay, who was once a regular contributor made great claims for bio fibre rods, but they don’t seem to have taken off to the extent he thought they would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steve2

Reaction score
As Carbon is naturally occuring I would imagine anyone could probably legitimatly say their rod was "bio" without having too many worries about trade description and so on.

Tbh it seems a bit screwy to me....as you say perhaps its just a fad...not sure what angle they are aiming for exactly ...use a bio rod because you care about not damging the enviroment ? .....then use it to stick a hook in a fish :)
If you forget about sticking a hook in a fish and want to environmentally friendly fish with cane rods. At least you can reuse and recycle them in the garden and they do rot in time unlike glass and carbon.

steve2

Reaction score
Another cane rod on it's way, blame lockdown, at this rate I will end up having to buy some old K P Morritts Intrepid reels.

rayner

Reaction score
Why do anglers speak of sticking hooks into fish? Anglers are the only ones who know getting hooked makes the fish smile. :giggle:

Philip

Reaction score
Why do anglers speak of sticking hooks into fish? Anglers are the only ones who know getting hooked makes the fish smile. :giggle:

Well ok ...as its raining and I cant get out to stick a hook in one ..I'll bite...

I'm an angler and I dont think that at all. I think they hate it.

Why pretend otherwise ? ...that wont make a jot of dfference to the general publics opinion on what we do being creul or not.

rayner

Reaction score
Not a bait set for anyone to bite. I believe the fish I catch are pleased to see me, giving thanks for the bait I've fed them. ;) If they were in any way against being hooked then why are they always smiling? ?

Old fisher

Reaction score
I know this is now an old subject but I wanted to add my thoughts to the question. Being now approaching my 76th birthday and having fished since I was 8 years of age, I have like others seen many changes in angling. So I thought about how the people I've known since childhood fished all those years ago. I would (before I had started fishing) go on my bike to where I had seen the odd person sitting by my local pond and watch what they were doing. They as I remember, had very little tackle. After a while you would see them walk around carrying what little tackle they had looking for another spot to fish. One old man spoke to me and asked me if I fished, and to this day I can still remember I said that I didn't know how to. From that day onwards I learnt what I could. In those early years, no one seemed worried whether they caught or not. Now I can say WE, just enjoyed being in the country and would sit quietly watching all that was going on around us. Our tackle was uncomplicated by todays standards. You have to remember that this was just after the War. There was no hurry to do anything, it was just a joy to be in the countryside. Nowadays a small child would never be allowed to go off like I did and talk to old men, at 8 years of age they all looked like old men. It was so enjoyable just fishing and using the simple tackle of the day. I now seldom go fishing because of health problems. I have the the latest types of tackle, including bivvies. carbon rods and bite alarms etc. But I also have 24 split cane rods, 65 vintage Mitchell reels. But to this day I still find fishing the way I did and using the old tackle from the past more enjoyable both in landing fish and moving around lakes where only a few people may be fishing, and just not worry about what anyone else was catching or doing.

Last edited: