What record?

P

Paul Williams

If,and i know it's a huge if!! i could choose to be the capture of a record fish the humble roach would be my first choice, i think the reason is that it reminds me so much of my boyhood,and the sight of a big roach is to me beyond the realms of physical size, what fish would the rest of you choose and why?

G

Goose Ganderton

I think for me, at the moment Paul it would have to be a Rudd because they are such a rare fish at the record weight now, and also because it would give me such pleasure to be plasterd all over the fishing press which would enable me to have a go a Rudd killer Watson.

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
I think I am with Paul on the roach (if only to take it away from the current idiot holder!), but not far behind would be a perch. I would love to catch a record perch from a river and have the pictures of this huge fish with it's bristling dorsal. Magic.

C

Carp Angler

Definitely the roach.
Followed closely by the carp, but it would have to be an un-named fish from a river.
and possibly the eel......

P

Philip Inzani

Hmmmmm interesting question...Chub maybe, how about the Salmon..I think thats been there since 1922....no I think I would say the Roach as well.
One of the things that appeals to me is that its not like that the record is in danger every season with loads of fish being caught around that weight, but at the same time I feel that the record could go at any time with a surprise monster.

David Preston

Reaction score
Perch has to be the one. I disagree with a great deal of what **** Walker wrote and did, but he once said something along the lines of "There is no fish that looks as big as a big perch."

G

Goose Ganderton

Talking of big Roach what happened to our Roach fish-in

C

Carp Angler

Have a look at the thread Goose.
Fishing locations, under general

Alan Roe

Reaction score
It would be the Roach record for me as well closely followed by the Barbel record..Strange ambitions for a game angler!!

C

Chris Bishop

Always makes me smile when I think of the bloke up here - Dennis Flack (?) - who goes round targetting mini-species and has most of the records.

P

Philip Inzani

I dont want to be-little anyones efforts as I would love to catch any record even the Stickleback but did Dennis not stock a record silver bream in his own backgarden pond then catch it and keep in in a keepnet for 14 days while he waited for someone to come down and verify it ?

I am sure he is a fine angler and fully deserves his records but that one may be streaching the spirt of it all a bit if the story is true.

R

Ron Clay

Without doubt it would be roach. Actuall I caught two species in excess of the South African record many years ago. These were the Vaal River Mudfish - 7lbs-9oz and the Small Mouth Black Bass - 6 lbs - 11 oz. I never bothered claiming them as it cost too much in legal fees and other hassles to do so. I just let them go, but the memory stays with me. That's all that really counts.

R

Ryan Turner

It looks like the roach is going to be favourite, it definitley is for me, the perch would be a very close second. Its just about regressing back to childhood, something we all try to do as often as possible, thats the magic of angling, we can be kids again whenever we want... that is when the rain lets us!