What size lead or feeder is recommended

J

Jack Pike

Just wondering whats the heavyist feed or lead peeps are using in the winter with rivers carrying extra water.

K

Kev Jones 2

The heaviest lead I,ve used/are using is 6 oz, the Korda gripper lead as it happens.
The heaviest feeder is the Drennan 2 and half ounce oval blockend, into which I push a 4 oz Korda gripper lead, and then fill the remaining space in the feeder with pellet paste. So I imagine that combo weighs getting on for 7 ounces. Usually it manages to stay still for a while, until dislodged by weed/leaves etc building up on the mainline.

fred hall

Reaction score
I may be missing out here but I cannot recall ever using more than 3.5 ounces. If that gets moved by the current then I change swims.

B

BLAM

I'm still waiting to fish when the river is carrying extra water. What has come through thus far disappeared almost overnight sadly.

In answer to your question I've not found the need to go more than 4oz thus far. If there is that much turbulence them as Fred says its probably time to find a smoother swim.

K

Kev Jones 2

I use the 6 oz leads to hold bottom where the barbel are, that,s all. It,s either use them and catch, or use lighter leads and go home fishless, with my bait and end tackle constantly heading for Chepstow !

Barbel Taliban

Reaction score
Infidel: I use 6oz home made feeders. and by the will of god it hold bottom in all but the Heaviest of flood conditions.

K

Kev Jones 2

PMSL ! If it dosen,t hold bottom Tali, you could always find the nearest centrepin user, embrace him in a bearhug while shouting "God is Great", and pull yer string, so to speak !

K

Kev Jones 2

You will surely go to Paradise and take 30 virgins for that Great Act against the Pope and his lacky dogs.