What to buy?...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
To be honest it will only get used a handful of times during good weather in summer anyway. I'm only going course fishing as a way to catch up with my cousin more than anything. Most of my fishing is sea and then carp
Its a very nice box, beats my old tat, you will enjoy it, aesthetically as well. I actually have a nice old dark oak box I bought somewhere, it needs doing up and I have been meaning to turn it into a float box. I might even attempt to do some carving on the lid, one of my float designs maybe and not chop a finger off but never got round to it, maybe this winter. I doubt I will actually use it, might flog it though with a selection of my premier hand painted floats.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Pulled it out and started to get a few ideas, I know Markcw will want to get his deposit for one in early; I will reserve one for him..
P1000267.JPG
P1000266.JPG

Reaction score
When I used wooden tackle and float boxes I screwed a piece of 1.2mm duralumin onto the base,they lasted years until I came into the modern world of plastic,which lightened up my gear no end and is virtually unbreakable....

mikench

Reaction score
Mark, Nat will be putty in your hands when she sees your box and floats. Oh dearie me!?

Regalis

Out of reach...
Reaction score
Its a very nice box, beats my old tat, you will enjoy it, aesthetically as well. I actually have a nice old dark oak box I bought somewhere, it needs doing up and I have been meaning to turn it into a float box. I might even attempt to do some carving on the lid, one of my float designs maybe and not chop a finger off but never got round to it, maybe this winter. I doubt I will actually use it, might flog it though with a selection of my premier hand painted floats.
I'm looking to collect some reeds later in the year and have a go at making some floats too. I will be tieing up new sets of mackerel traces between my sea and pike fishing as well so plenty to do when the weather won't let me play out!

rayner

Reaction score
Teak oil would need reoiling after a while, perhaps 4-6months. If you are to varnish make sure the oil is completely dry. White spirit will take any oil off the surface of the wood.

Keith M

Reaction score
My brother has ordered one as an early birthday present for me ? its gonna take two weeks to be made.

View attachment 17219
When I was a bit younger and could carry everything but my kitchen sink I had a float/tackle box very similar to the one shown above; with 3 sections full of floats stored in foam strips in the three sides of the top lid sections and all my tackle bits stored in the two base sections (separated from the float sections with a thin sheet of plywood. I loved this box and it lasted me for around 15 years.
Mine was varnished though.

I also had a similar smaller wooden box that I won in a club match for storing all of my split shot and hooks; all in small marked tubs fitted into foam cutouts; but I didn’t actually use that one on the bank as I thought it was a bit too bulky to carry my shot and hooks in.

Keith

Regalis

Out of reach...
Reaction score
When I was a bit younger and could carry everything but my kitchen sink I had a float/tackle box very similar to the one shown above; with 3 sections full of floats stored in foam strips in the three sides of the top lid sections and all my tackle bits stored in the two base sections (separated from the float sections with a thin sheet of plywood. I loved this box and it lasted me for around 15 years.
Mine was varnished though.

I also had a similar smaller wooden box that I won in a club match for storing all of my split shot and hooks; all in small marked tubs fitted into foam cutouts; but I didn’t actually use that one on the bank as I thought it was a bit too bulky to carry my shot and hooks in.

Keith
This style of tackle box is becoming harder to find now. It took me a while. I will be getting a little trolley when I buy the rest of my course gear and will only be using it at fisheries so won't have to walk too far.

The box will go well with my little old shakespeare rod! ?

Screenshot_20210920-101224_Gallery.jpg